• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. cacatuoides fry in my community tank

Bellringer

My pair of A. cacatuoides have spawned several times in my 55g Planted community. However, this time, no thanks to me, I have fry! I have about 10-15 fry in a coconut cave. They are mostly sitting in the substrate from what I can see through the opening. I am assuming they are not free swimming and most likely hatched less than 12 hours ago. What is an average time for them to be free swimming so that I can remove them from my community tank so that they won't become bleeding heart tetra food?

My next question is should I move the female with the fry? The mother is heavily guarding them at the moment inside of the cave and she won't let anything get close. This is my first time breeding any type of fish. I have a 10 gallon tank ready to go in which I will remove a (spare) HoB filter from my 55g and place on my 10g with water from the 55g. It is bare-bottomed. I also have some cyclopeez food ready to go for them as well. Is there anything else I should or should not do? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It normally takes 4 days from hatching for the fry to become freeswimming.

I really can't suggest a HOB power filter on a 10, especially one rated for a 55! Most of the fry will be sucked into the filter unless you cover the intake with a sponge cover. Even then, the flow will be too strong for the fry unless you can reduce the flow. I prefer to keep the mother with the fry. They tend to be less frightened and are out and about more looking for food when their mother is guarding them. Without their mother, fry tend to huddle on the bottom. Try the Cyclopeez. It's decent nutritionally. I've been successful raising fry on dry food in the past, but now only use live foods. Fry are attracted to movement and eat moving food better. If you don't want to mess with a separate tank, you might want to consider a tank partition that can separate mother and fry from the rest of the aquarium members. You'll have more consistant water quality and more naturally occurring live foods than in a bare 10.

Bellringer

Thank you Mike, I have not separated them yet. The HoB I will/could be using is adjustable and does have a large foam prefilter on it. I just checked on the fry and they are still "wrigglers" I guess as they are sitting on the substrate and moving only a little at a time. The mother is very protective still, however, I don't think I can partition the tank unless I use one of those breeder net containers. I have never used them and my LFS does not recommend them. I really can't find any other decent information on their usefulness. Have you ever used them or have you had any luck with them? My tank is very heavily planted. I have been reading this forum avidly since I set up my current (first ever) planted tank. I only chose apistos due to mainly your forum. I would trust anything you suggest.

Thanks,

Rian

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Well, I personally use breeding tanks for breeding and community tanks for show. If I get a spawn in a community tank then I just let Nature take its course. If some fry survive to juvenile size (>½"/6mm) and can be netted out, then I consider it a bonus. I personally don't like breeder nets. They are too confining and stressful for the fish. Yes, I have used simple partitions in tanks and they work if properly positioned. Too often fish sneak through if not flush on the sides and top, but the mother can usually handle 1 or 2 fish until they are moved back to the other side. If I were in your situation, I'd just let mom try to take care of the fry in your tank. She will breed again. Once you have everything set up for breeding (separate tank, proper food, etc.), then I'd move a pair into a breeding set-up - and remove the male after spawning. Good luck with whichever decision you make.

Bellringer

Thanks Mike, I am going to leave them in the community tank this time. They have been spawning every 2-3 weeks and this is the first that has lead to fry. I am sure they will do it again as they have obviously become better at it. Thank you so much for your input and advice. I'll post some pics up as soon as I can get some good ones of the mother and her fry.

Bellringer

I don't think you can see the fry in the pictures. But here are a few.
img0205.jpg

img0210o.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….