• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. cacatuoides female?

Ruby-House

Does this fish look like a female? the pair was sold to me as double-red...
fert.jpg
fer.jpg
fe.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Domestic cacatuoides are always hard for me to sex from photos. Females take on many masculine traits. That being said, the top photo looks more female than male, the middle looks more like 2 males, and the bottom looks like a juvenile of unknown sex. If all the same fish, you can see my problem. Size of the fish might help.

Ruby-House

I actually went to go pick up a second female today from the same place and she looks exactly the same except she has more black on her ventral fins than the first one who only has one fin being black and the other orange. They're both much smaller than the male and have a rounder body shape so i guess they just picked up more male colouring...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….