• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. baenschi gill cover defect

eranu

5 Year Member
One of my local shops has a batch of these fish in, labeled as 'very rare' and asking for £15GBP each. The are from a Czeck supplier.

On close inspection I thought their gill covers looked a bit short. I noticed the deep red colour of the actual gills at first, then realised I could see it on all of them, but not on other apisto species in the same shop, which made me think they weren't quite right.

I've seen gill cover deformities in batches of fish before. Is it something to look out for in apisto's?

Microman

5 Year Member
Hi,
Apisto baenschi are widely available in the UK from nearly all dwarf cichlid breeders and have been for some time. They are also on nearly every import list that i see on a weekly basis and are not rare in the trade or the hobby.
£15.00 UK pounds is somewhere near right for a pair of A baenschi but you can get wilds at this price rather than Czech bred fish. F1s go for approx £6 pair....

Deformities and missing gill covers are often seen on highly inbred/hybrid Apisto species but i have never seen a whole batch of Czech bred fish with the same deformity. Very unusual...
Mark...

eranu

5 Year Member
Cheers Mark,

These were £15 each! I know they aren't rare, I never believe the 'rare' labels.

Maybe I was wrong with the gill cover defect. I need to go back and look again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….