• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

3 Colombian Apistogramma

Tom C

5 Year Member
Several new forms/species of Apistogramma have been collected in Colombia the last months, and some of them have reached my tanks.

I will not reveal anything about the collecting locations, I have therefor given them the preliminary names Apistogramma sp. "D1" to Apistogramma sp. "D6".

Two species/forms with very clear yellow pectoral fins:

The Apistogramma sp. "D2" usually looks quite grey / dull:

Male:

resizeimage.aspx

Female:

resizeimage.aspx

A couple of days ago I noticed two males displaying;

resizeimage.aspx

I thought for a moment that I had got some new fishes!: A significant change of appearance:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

The Apistogramma sp. "D2b" got it's preliminary name because I first thought it was the same species / form as the D2, until a certain American apistophile with a well-developed "taxonomic eye" made me aware of the two form's significant different caudal spot.

Male:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

Female:

resizeimage.aspx

The Apistogramma sp. "D3", although collected in Colombia, is a fish that seems to be closely related to Apistogramma (cf.) payaminonis.
I have two color forms of males, said to have been collected at the same location:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

In 2012, we collected an Apistogramma cf. payaminonis form in Peru, in the Rio Napo drainage, near the village Pantoja and the border Peru/Ecuador. They don't look THAT different from the "D3":

resizeimage.aspx

although their locations are far away from each other, and separated by many huge rivers.

The females of the Apistogramma cf. payaminonis form from Pantoja, Peru, look like this when breeding:

resizeimage.aspx

The single flank spot is one of the differences with the females of the true Apistogramma payaminonis (from the type locality); their females show an extra flank spot on vertical bar 4.

Now females of the Apistogramma sp. "D3" are breeding, and amazingly, they appear like this:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

They show the extra flank spot on bar 4, just like the true Apistogramma payaminonis from the type locality! So I think the Colombian form might be taxonomically closer to the true Apistogramma payaminonis than the Peruvian form we collected in Pantoja, in 2012.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I had or had something VERY similar to the A. sp. D2b come in a few years ago. The "arc" in the eye is a pretty distinct feature so I always called the sp. arc eye. A quick search didn't turn up any pictures of them. I'll have to dig more later. They were pretty undemanding and very good parents.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….