• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

29g trifasciata tank

Mert55y

Hello, im setting up a 29 gallon breeding tank for apistogramma trifasciata. Its 81x36x40cm, should i keep a pair in this or a harem? If i could keep a harem how big should it be? I cant find a good answer on the internet. And should i add pencilfish as ditherfish?

Eugene09

Hello, you can keep a breeding pair but probably no mare apistogrammas. And with that size tank you can probably keep some schooling fish but the apistos will get agressive to other fish when they start breeding and spawning so it might not be a good idea to keep fish the apistos can eat or kill easily. For example neon tetras. But fast fish like danios will be fine since they can escape the apitsos if needed.

MacZ

Its 81x36x40cm, should i keep a pair in this or a harem?
In that size a trio could work. Males require 60cm diameterfor their territory, females 30cm. You will need good structure with lines of sight broken on ground level, so the fish can evade each other.

And should i add pencilfish as ditherfish?
That's at your discretion. Not a must nor a no-go.

With that tank size be aware that it's always better to have a second tank (60-80 liters) to separate the fish at any point should aggressions build up too much. Even with good structure this can happen.

Mert55y

In that size a trio could work. Males require 60cm diameterfor their territory, females 30cm. You will need good structure with lines of sight broken on ground level, so the fish can evade each other.

That's at your discretion. Not a must nor a no-go.

With that tank size be aware that it's always better to have a second tank (60-80 liters) to separate the fish at any point should aggressions build up too much. Even with good structure this can happen.
I have a spare tank so ill be fine thanks for the help

Iormungand21

I would agree that a trio sounds very reasonable. I successfully breed trifasciata in a standard aqueon 10gallon as a pair without issue. Also have tested and confirmed it is too small for a trio (pretty obviously, but I have enough tanks to test things for science).

I would say 10 gallon is too small for them to raise the fry together. I ended up removing the male a couple weeks after the fry were free swimming as they were harassing each other fairly often. He actually just went home yesterday!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….