• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

20g filter question

Phyrex

5 Year Member
I'm going to set up a 20 gallon dwarf cichlid tank and have filtration question.
Would you put 2 sponge filters for 10g in so that each territory has their own food supply for fry or would you still have a single one for 20g and move it depending on where the pair spawns? Or use a 20g and 10g sponge so that you have one cycled for a grow out tank that I might be adding in a year or so. For now I will just leave the fry in the main tank and hope for survival. I'm still narrowing down my population; it'll be either 1 pair of german blue rams or kribs, or a harem of 4 apistogramma cacatuoides with 6-8 black neon tetras as dithers and some kind of cleaning crew. I'm probably going to start out with 4-6 juvies of one of the three and see which pair up. Which filter option would be preferred in order to keep the water movement at a proper level too?
Option 1: 2 x 10g sponge
Option 2: 1 x 20g sponge
Option 3: 1 x 10g and 1 x 20g sponge

dw1305

5 Year Member
Filters

Hi Phyrex,
I don't think it matters, I like 2 sponge filters to give me a spare. I use a sponge filter in each back corner of the tank. I don't buy them as for a 10g etc., I cut up large, coarse (10ppi) Koi filter sponge blocks, (12" x 4" x 4") with a 10mm central hole and use a maxijet 400/600 powerhead to pull the water through the sponge, the maxijets come with a sponge scaffold.

I like maxijets as they seem reliable and you can positions them fairly well, with the triple sucker arrangement, if you want surface movement put them near the top and use the venturi, if you don't put them lower in the tank.
cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….