• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

20 gallon dicrossus filamentosus

Lucasalc46

Hey all! I’m thinking of putting together an Igapo style 20 gallon tank. I’ve done this once before but with a 29 gallon. I was wondering about stocking this smaller tank. Do you guys think I could keep 4 checkerboards and a school of around 12 neon or cardinal tetras? I would do 30% water changes every week.
what do you guys think?

thanks,
Lucas

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Hey Lucas!

sorry i can’t answer your question, but i looking forward to hear what others have to say about this, as i have had similare ideas.

-r

MacZ

50% waterchange a week for blackwater species is the least.
Also maybe start off with a pair of Dicrossus. While Dicrossus are quite docile in a group, as soon as a they start to breed the females become aggressive. Here's a breeding report that states how the male in a similarly sized setup was kept at a distance by the female.

Or just get a male, as with tetras and without RO, breeding Dicrossus is futile anyway. A single male in a tank your size is probably the least stressful option for all involved fish and humans alike.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Do you guys think I could keep 4 checkerboards and a school of around 12 neon or cardinal tetras?........The tank dimensions are 23.62" L x 13" W x 13" H
Possibly as juveniles, but even then you would be better with a much bigger tank.
Or just get a male, as with tetras and without RO, breeding Dicrossus is futile anyway. A single male in a tank your size is probably the least stressful option for all involved fish and humans alike.
That one.

cheers Darrel

Lucasalc46

50% waterchange a week for blackwater species is the least.
Also maybe start off with a pair of Dicrossus. While Dicrossus are quite docile in a group, as soon as a they start to breed the females become aggressive. Here's a breeding report that states how the male in a similarly sized setup was kept at a distance by the female.

Ok. In that case do you think a pair of apistos would be more interesting? I’ve kept dicrossus once before and maybe trying something new could be fun.

MacZ

I'd probably just keep a pair of apistos in that tanksize for breeding purposes and if I had the option to remove one of the fish at any point. Otherwise same thing: Keep a single male.

What's more interesting depends completely on what you find interesting, I don't think I can answer that question for you.

anewbie

You could probably keep 3 (1m 2f) borelli in a tank that size as they seem fairly chill providing you have good scaping with lots of barriers. I'm pretty happy with the borelli as compared to cockatoo; if you go with a larger more aggressive species then 1m 1f. If you go with non-harem breeder then there is less concern about m/f aggression assuming the pair don't get into a fight over suitability.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….