• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

20 Gal. Long Tanks

M

MaxOverKill

First I would like to say, "Hello" to everyone here in the forums. I've been browsing around here for about a month or so just trying to soak up all information about the Apisto's.

I have a question about finding decently priced 20 gallon long fish tanks with glass tops and light. I haven't been able to figure out why they are so difficult to find.

I've been to a few of the local shops and most tell me that they are a special order and need to be made as well as the inflated price of anywhere in the neighborhood of $130-$180. I don't mean to sound like a penny-pincher, but for a tank that isn't so out of the norm. I think it's a bit outrageous.

I'm in the Folsom, CA area if anyone knows of a local shop that has them on a regular basis or if there is an online company that ships for a reasonable price. I would greatly appreciate it.

Randall

5 Year Member
20-gallon long tanks

Hello MaxO,

Here in the northeast, 20-gallon long tanks with a glass canopy and fluorescent light strip cost well under $100. All Glass Aquarium (AGA), Perfecto and Marineland all offer basically the same product at about the same price. You could do a Google search for retailers in your area; or, conversely, contact Steve Lumblad in Portland, OR.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Tea

5 Year Member
20 long

Hello Max, wow that is a pretty crazy price! Here in Wisconsin AGa 20 long w/ top and sriplight goes for 80. But I guees maybe cheaper because they are located here.Your best bet is probaly to do what Randall suggested, or look in the classified section of your sunday paper. I have bought a few tanks in good condition for a reasonable price that way. I hope you can find your tank.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I hate to say it... but try a PetSmart or PetCo. They sell Island tanks that are made in California. Their markup on glass is really low.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Please realize that prices aren't based on gallons, but manufacturing costs. The cost of producing a 20L is basically the same as a 29H. That's why more 29s are made & sold.

jonah

5 Year Member
A 20g long costs about $20-$25 at Petsmart. The glass top costs about $20. I'm not sure of the cost for a strip light, but it doesn't seem possible to compare to your price quotes of $130-$180.

I thought Island went out of business? I'm pretty sure the last 20g long I bought at Petsmart was a perfecto.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I could certainly be wrong about Island tanks at PetSMart. I live five hours from a PetSMart and have not been in one in probably three+ years.

M

MaxOverKill

Thank you for the quick responses. It is much appreciated.

I have never thought about checking with Petsmart or Petco. I automatically assumed an inflated price tag since most of the accessories for the aquatic world are generally more costly than at the local fish store. At least in my experience.

And in response to MIke: I understand how the the pricing is concieved for aquariums, but I thought that the 20 long was about as regular as a 20 gal.
Guess I was wrong. :confused: :)

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
The 20L uses the same frame template as a 29. A 29 is therefore just as expensive to build, with the added cost of a little bit more glass. A 29 is a popular tank because it is a better presentation tank than a 20L. Mostly hobyists and breeders are interested in 20L because we can stack 3 in the space of 2 29's. The meaning of it.... 29 have a greater demand out in the stores.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….