• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

2 mothers in one tank, both with wigglers, will there be a problem?

apisto420

Some how they both spawned, not in the same tank but one in the breeder tank and one in the community, there was no chance the batch would of survived in the community tank so i took the eggs along with the mother and put it into the breeder tank so now i have got 2 separate mothers guarding 2 different batches of wigglers..

Question is will there be a problem once both batches of fry are free swimming? will the mother eat the other mothers fry? i removed the male because from experience sometimes the male will eat the fry. Hoping i can have 2 different mothers taking care of the fry.

BTW they are dwarf cockatoos :)

plumcuda

I had 2 females and 1 male in a 10 gal quarantine tank.Both females spawned within days of each other. Opposite ends of the tank.Had nowhere to move them as they were
in quarantine. Ended up putting a separater in after fry were free swimming. Babies went from one side to the other and just mixed together.Mothers hated each other.
Moved 1 female and some fry to new tank.Female in original tank got sick and died.Male,female and all 5-6 week fry all in a 20 gal long and doing great.I think it's going to depend creating a good sight zone block for them. Good luck. Mine are orange flash cockatoos if that makes a difference.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Most apisto mothers will accept similar sized fry of her own or other species and mix them. It isn't unusual for them to steal fry from other mothers, as plumcuda had happen. Depending on the size and lay-out of the aquarium, it can be quite entertaining to watch the females. If, however, the tank is too small or too open, then you could have problems. If one female is dominant, then I would suggest that you remove the other female.

apisto420

Thanks guys.. I saw the mothers fighting so i took one out, the mother is taking care of both batches of fry.. Now i'm just hoping if these fry will survive just need to wait and see..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….