• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

10 gallon prospects...

keith42

hi everyone. so ive been working on my 10gallon planted for about three weeks now and i think im finally ready for my fish! so i have a 10 gallon on r.o. (PH is around 6.5) with fluval substrate. im running sunglo 10watt compact florescents x2. my plant stock is: dwarf hair grass, dwarf sagitaria, ozelot sword amazon sword, ludwigia repens, aromatica, and one other plant i cant remember the name off hand lol. i have diy c02 and an indicator telling me my co2 is perfect. im running a marineland penguin 100 biowheel. so ive been researching my apistos and there are a few id like (im only doing a pair) luelingi, nijsseni, or veijita. what are your opinions on these kind, or experiences? thanks for the input evryone :)

Last edited:

Jonathan Aquair

5 Year Member
I'm a big fan of Nijsseni/panduro (when it comes to pairing Apistos). They're relatively easy to care for/breed and find. Pictures ?

keith42

i agree i found a beautiful pair at my lfs. here are a couple tank pics
phone pictures 792.jpg
phone pictures 793.jpg

phone pictures 794.jpg
phone pictures 794.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You have to realize that a 10 is rather small for a pair of apistos, especially if you're interested in breeding. It's possible, of course, if you have some experience with small cichlids and are willing to quickly remove 'problem' fish. I honestly can't recommend any of the species that you listed unless you can get a bonded pair of A. nijsseni, but then the pH is too high for breeding although not a problem for just housing them. Personally, I'd suggest A. borellii or one of the smaller resticulosa-complex species from Brazil: A. taeniata, A. resticulosa, A. sp. Wangenflecken. The ideal apisto for such a tank would be A. wapisana, small, behaviorally interesting, but sadly rare and ugly.

DBlauj

I started with 10s also but found out quickly they are rather small for pair. I ended up replacing them for 20Ls and even those I feel would at best fit a pair. In the future I'm going go with 30/40 breeders as I like harems instead of pairs. GL though.

keith42

i ended up with a beautiful bonded pair of njsseni. i appreciate the advice everyone. i actually have a 125 that is stocked im working in clearing it out so i i can make a dwarf community tank (all small fiish and some big personality. so my nijsseni wont be in the 10 forever. but they adjusted quickly there colors are great and theyre eating so i feel that the tank is working just fine at the moment :) ill get some pics of them asap.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….