Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!
My "ortegai" have also spawned. I was disappointed when I realized that my fish were A. paulmuelleri, but they've turned out to be very attractive in their own right. They're not at all shy & so far they've proven to be very good parents.
Newly free-swimming D. maculatus fry are TINY - only slightly bigger than baby gouramis. I wouldn't risk shipping them (or wrigglers) until they're at least 3/4 of an inch, & as they grow slowly that could take a while.
In my first successful breeding attempt I siphoned the wrigglers from an...
I still have a male & 3 females. They've been spawning like clockwork, but I haven't had time to raise up some more fry. I'll make an effort over the holidays.
BTW I got a close to 50/50 sex ratio in super soft NYC tap water pH 6.
Sorry I couldn't get a better photo; the male has been keeping a low profile since the female brought out her fry a few days ago. The male's dorsal & caudal resemble the ones I've seen in photos of Tefe' "Pearl Blue". They still have a lot of growing to do & I'm curious to find out which strain...
Picked up a pair of these at an LFS a few weeks back. They were very small when I first purchased them & I assumed that they were agassizii, but lately the male has started to look Tefe'-ish to me.
I've kept several Apistogrammas for several years and I have yet to see a male that produced eggs...
But then - with all these new technologies, I guess anything is possible...
I recently acquired 6 C. dimidiatus juvies; all turned out to be female. If any one can spare one or two males I'd be happy to take them off your hands. I'm located in Brooklyn, NY.