• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Search results

  1. dw1305

    Sudden Apistograma death need help with why

    Hi all, I'm sorry to hear of your loss, it is something that has happened to all (or nearly all) of us. Have a look at the <"Seasoned Tank Time"> concept. It is really difficult for us to judge what the tank was like without a photo. You won't actually have 0 ppm nitrate (NO3-), NO3- is a...
  2. dw1305

    It’s finally happening

    Hi all, Run them for longer, at least eight hours, that may not be long enough (in duration) to support plant growth. Rather than 4 hours light, I'd look at that as "20 hours of darkness". Have a look at...
  3. dw1305

    It’s finally happening

    Hi all, PM me if you change your mind, I always have spare <"Magnolia grandiflora"> leaves. What I would say is that structural leaf litter offers a lot of hiding places for the fish and also provides some natural activity and <"environmental enrichment"">. I'm personally convinced that this...
  4. dw1305

    It’s finally happening

    Hi all, Not much sympathy, but a lot of good advice. @Jwitho are you in the UK? I can post some "structural leaves" if you are. I know what I prefer, but I'd go for "firm but fair". Cheers Darrel
  5. dw1305

    It’s finally happening

    Hi all, Personally I wouldn't have any rocks, just "twiggy" wood and lots of structural leaf litter. You want the structural elements to break up "line of sight" and rock doesn't really offer that. Once the plants have grown in they perform the blocking function. I pyo all my wood and mainly...
  6. dw1305

    Befuddled by ph

    Hi all, That is the one, small additions of proton donors (or proton acceptors) make a huge difference to pH in low conductivity water. There is, but it is that all gases are less soluble at higher temperatures. Electrical conductivity is a sensitive measurement it will detect absolutely tiny...
  7. dw1305

    Befuddled by ph

    Hi all, You also have CO2 depletion, which will raise pH. I really wouldn't worry, the way I look at is that actively growing plants are the single most important factor in maintaining water quality. I'd guess that CO2 depletion will have a much bigger effect on pH. I used to occasionally try...
  8. dw1305

    Befuddled by ph

    Hi all, That should be fine. If you add some more tannins (I use Alder (Alnus) "cones" and Oak (Quercus spp.) leaves) the pH should come down. In planted tanks the removal of nitrate (NO3-) causes the pH to rise (again the chemistry is on the Niade website -...
  9. dw1305

    Befuddled by ph

    Hi all, As Mike says pH isn't a very useful parameter in low conductivity water. The problems are that very small changes in water chemistry cause large changes in pH, and that pH meters are a specific type of conductivity meter, and they take a long time to stabilise in low conductivity...
  10. dw1305

    Plants in Softwater tank

    Hi all, It probably won't include calcium (Ca), mainly because calcium sulphate (CaSO4.2H2O) is insoluble, which limits the salts (MgSO4.7H2O etc) you can use. I've got hard, alkaline tap water so I can use that to add calcium and bicarbonate (dKH). If I didn't? I'd use calcium chloride...
  11. dw1305

    Plants in Softwater tank

    Hi all, You can just add fertiliser via the <"Duckweed Index">, plants suitable for soft water have very low nutrient requirements. Cheers Darrel
  12. dw1305

    Sexing Macmasteri

    Hi all Female. Cheers Darrel
  13. dw1305

    A. Eunotus Biotope

    Hi all, I think you might struggle for Apistogramma eunotus specifically, it comes from clear and white water streams <"https://apistogramma.com/forum/threads/new-apistogramma-eunotus.10335/#post-55832"> in the Andes piedmont. These don't tend to be favoured for underwater photography...
  14. dw1305

    Plants in Softwater tank

    Hi all, I've never had any joy with Vallisneria spp. either, but I don't whether that is lack of nutrients, or lack of alkalinity. Cheers Darrel
  15. dw1305

    super low ph (4.6)

    Hi all, What @MacZ says. At low pH levels <"tannic and humic substances"> may be important, and I would expect that if you lowered the pH of RO water with a strong acid (HCl etc.), the fish wouldn't last long. This reflects recent advances in research on nitrification. I'll pass you over to...
  16. dw1305

    Channa bleheri breeding

    Hi all, You could try the "fishhut" FB group. Cheers Darrel
  17. dw1305

    'lipstick' pencilfish ??

    Hi all, I think they all are <"https://apistogramma.com/forum/threads/new-tank-108l.25137/page-4#post-125225">. They also <"don't like one another">. cheers Darrel
  18. dw1305

    Are Frozen Bloodworm Cubes Bad?

    Hi all, It is haemoglobin in Blood worms (Chironomid larvae), they are detrivores, rather than algae eaters, so I assume they don't accumulate carotenoids. cheers Darrel
  19. dw1305

    Cacatuoides Pair Says Cave and Sand Not Needed...

    Hi all, I appreciate that, and there was no offence intended (or taken). cheers Darrel
  20. dw1305

    Scud culturing for apistogramma live food?

    Hi all, The best Amphipod are <"Crangonyx"> spp., they are cat-nip to most fish and are used in aquaculture etc. The advantage they have over Hyalella azteca and Gammarus spp. is that they are <"vegetarian"> and tolerate low oxygen, low alkalinity and warm water. They are widely naturalised in...
Top