• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Agassizii

TuvaM

Thank you. My LFS get all apistos when they are 3-4 cm, so I guess it is common. So I guess I just have to wait a little after they get them in the store before I buy them. But I agree with you. I have no chance to take more than two, so the next one has to be female. I saw another store has gotten some Borelli Opal, maybe I can take one female from there.

Phile

I don't know where you are located, but in the US you can go to Aquabid.com and get a pair. Borellii are fairly common on that site. Some breeders will ship to other countries.

Phile

You may want to check with a local aquarium club or one in a major city with in a drivable range. Someone may either have fish or know someone else who does. This is actually the best way to get fish.

Siggi

Hello, everybody.
That's a really nice borellii. I really enjoyed mine when I had them. My LFS had some, but they weren't sexed out yet. I'm surprised that anyone would send any to market that were unsexable. I'd rather pay a few bucks more and know that I had a pair, rather than have to pay a lot more for a school of fish just to get a pair.

Even if you can get a pair of opposite sexes, that will not be a guarantee the you actually have a couple. Most cichlids are sensible fish and need to select their own partners, not to have them chosen by a human.
So, even if you might pay some more for getting a school of cichlids, that will normally be a good investment, as you will have a much higher chance of getting an acual couple out of the school of fish, maybe even more than one.

@TuvaM: your borelli looks very nice. Consider adding some females and perhaps some dither fish as soon as possible.

TuvaM

I have added 10 ember tetras to the tank. I will probably just add one female as the Borellii is a polygamous species and doesn't form couples. I guess it will be just fine. Also, it's not very important for me that they spawn, as long as they are doing fine.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….