• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male cocatuoide hiding

b3aR

So can someone put my mind at rest please. Currently my male ap. cocatuoide is hiding away in one of the caves in my tank. A few days prior the female was showing what i believe to be mating behaviour(rolling on side whilst around the male). Do the males take time to fertalise eggs/hide away whilst they are. or is it a fairly fast action over in a short time? is this behaviour expected if the have been mating?

Thanks.

b3aR

Not seen the male for 2 days now could be hiding is it likely to start thinking the worst has happened

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Courtship to breeding usually takes less than 30 minutes. If a brooding female is aggressive then the male will hide if he can't get out of her brood territory or line of sight. I need more information on the tank to know if your male is hiding or ill.

b3aR

I think he may have been stressed because within a matter of days he went from being as lively as to be expected to very reclusive and then today i found him dead

chappy6107

5 Year Member
tank is big enough for a pair if you have lots of breaks in line of site and hiding places. Did the male have any blotches or unusual coloring when you found him?

b3aR

tank is big enough for a pair if you have lots of breaks in line of site and hiding places. Did the male have any blotches or unusual coloring when you found him?
Nothing that i could see that suggested disease. it may be the case that he was just a fragile one that had not quite adapted to his surrounding or something spooked him and made him stressed. water parameters are fine and the female i have had coloured up a lot in the month i have had her

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….