• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hole in the head.....

Neil Groves

I have an apistogramma with hole in the head disease for which he is being treated, he seems to be doing ok now and is eating very well, my question is since I suspect he will always have a scar on his head, how will I know when to stop treatment?.....how will I know when he is actually cured and it is just the scar that is showing?

Neil.

gerald

5 Year Member
You'll need to rely on behavior ... when he seems to be eating well and acting normally, he shouldn't need further treatment. His immune system will hopefully finish the recovery work. Without lab diagnostic equipment, you can't even tell what the cause is. Hole-in-head is a symptom with many possible causes: diet deficiency, water quality, protozoa (Hexamita and others), bacteria (Mycobacterium and other), viruses, etc.

Ian Logan

5 Year Member
Without lab diagnostic equipment, you can't even tell what the cause is. Hole-in-head is a symptom with many possible causes: diet deficiency, water quality, protozoa (Hexamita and others), bacteria (Mycobacterium and other), viruses, etc.[/QUOTE]

Gerald

Given thats its a sympton of multiple origin how would you suggest to treat this if we come acroos this in eg a quarantine period?

Ian

gerald

5 Year Member
Good question. Wish I had a good answer, but I don't, other than keep any new fish with apparent sores or swellings away from your existing fish. The new guy might have some "bug" that's already in your tank that your current fish have adapted to live with, and mixing them won't matter much, or it might have some new "bug" that your current fish have never been exposed to. Even perfectly healthy-looking fish that have been in quarantine for months might be carrying some pathogenic microbes that could sicken "immunologically-naive" fish. That's just the reality of acquiring new fish. Apistos and other soft-water dwarf cichlids unfortunately seem much more prone to NOT recovering once they become sick, compared with many other fish.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with gerald. I find the best remedy for hole in the head is to allow the fish's immune system to work its magic. That mean ideal water quality, proper water values, low stress, and the best nutrition (mostly live foods) - and pray.

Ian Logan

5 Year Member
I agree with gerald. I find the best remedy for hole in the head is to allow the fish's immune system to work its magic. That mean ideal water quality, proper water values, low stress, and the best nutrition (mostly live foods) - and pray.

I like that principle.I think there is a lot to be said for "Masterly Inaction" if i think back to when i worked in the industry and imported regularly our success rate when we isolated fish that looked off for was very low

Regards

Ian

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….