• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby Borelli sexing

Homerno1

Hello,

not to active in this forum, but have a question now, since my Borelli couple have just delivered their second group of about 40 offspring.

The first group was only 10 big, but they are all still a live in a seperate tank. They are growing nicely, but i wondered if there are pictures of the different agestages of the Borelli's?

Next to that, i can't seem to find any specific info on sexing the little ones. What are the best pointers as to determining male/female? I know 1 is a male for sure. He has some color and is "the man". The others, i don't really know, but would love to know!

I hope anyone can help me out...

Best regards!

Russ Hennessey

5 Year Member
For me its very hard to sex juvenile apistogramma reliably as they all tend to stay in the female coloration until mature. The exception i've found is with species that have dorsal fin extensions in the males (like cacatuoides and macmasteri) sometimes you can see these early on but for the most part its very hard sexing apistos till they are grown out.

Homerno1

Thanx for the replies!

A few days ago, i added some fresh Brine Shrimp. They loved it and what i noticed clearly was they put on their best dresses! The females turned bright yellow and the males lost the stripe on the side and went in to there blueish/greenish with yellow. Great way to sex them!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….