• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Setting up new 75 gallon for plants (S.A. biotope)

Thor

Hi Folks~
Over the years I have gone from having 20+ aquariums (as a kid) to only keeping one 29 gal. for the past 15 years. I recently decided to go for live plants in that tank to get some experience before plunging into a new 75. As I expected, with decent lighting, the seasoned 29 did well with easy to grow Anubias, Java Ferns and Bolbitis heteroclita.

That being said, I'm excited to get the 75 going in the near future (lighting, heater, filter, etc. are on the way). The 29 obviously did OK with the plants due to the plentiful organic matter stored in the gravel. Those nutrients won't be available in the new setup for some time. The planned substrate is a combo of sand and Tractor Supply Safe-T-Sorb. So, the big question is just what do I need to do to 'season' this new setup and what kind of additives/nutrients/fertilizers might I need to utilize to get this going?

My spring water is naturally soft/slightly acidic. On the fish end of things I'm planning on a S.American community with the usual mix of some dwarfs, tetras, corys, and so on. But, first things first!

Many thanks in advance for you input!

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
..... and Bolbitis heteroclita.....
You want Bolbitis heudelotii, B. heteroclita doesn't enjoy life under-water.

Bolbitis heudelotii is a good grower once it gets going. This one has grown from a small rhizome to this in ~4 years of benign neglect. I hack bits of it fairly regularly for other people.

bolbitis_feb2016_web_zpsbqqmfvrr-jpg.82928

Those nutrients won't be available in the new setup for some time. The planned substrate is a combo of sand and Tractor Supply Safe-T-Sorb. So, the big question is just what do I need to do to 'season' this new setup and what kind of additives/nutrients/fertilizers might I need to utilize to get this going? My spring water is naturally soft/slightly acidic.
The clay will end up on top of the sand.

I feed my plants via the <"Duckweed Index"> .

cheers Darrel

Thor

Many thanks for your response, Darrel. I truly appreciate the knowledge shared from those in the trenches! That is one healthy B. heudelotii. Though my Bolbitis is doing ridiculously well, I'm not sure it will make the cut in the end as I am trying to keep to S. American flora as much as possible. The "Duckweed Index" does sound intriguing! I guess that my biggest concern is getting over the initial hump of starting with a nearly sterile environment, nutrient-wise.
Incidentally, this grand scheme is designed simply as a reason to get some Laetacara, Cleithracara and/or Nannacara....species I haven't kept in many, many years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….