• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dwarf pike cichlid

Cookie_apisto

Is there any chance that I can keep a pair of dwarf pike cichlids (crenicichla regani) with two pair of apisto, a pair of checkerboard cichlids and a pair of German blue rams in a 53 gallon?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A chance? Yes, but not a good one. Obviously this tank isn't designed for breeding. Besides small crustaceans, the diet dwarf pikes includes fry of other species. This is why male apistos tend to be extremely territorial and aggressive toward small pikes. Funny, yes? You'd think it was the other way around. I haven't heard/read experiences with keeping dwarf pikes and checkerboards together. Maybe someone else can help here. If you decide to mix the two, I'd suggest using a more robust checkerboard, like D. maculatus. One other thought. Unless well bonded dwarf pikes are extremely aggressive to other pikes.

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
I've kept a few different species of dwarf pikes with various dwarf cichlids (Laetacara mostly) and it worked really well. However, several species hunt apisto fry in nature, so not sure how well it would go. If I were to try it, I would keep to the larger species (as Mike suggested).

I would stick to either Cr. regani or Cr. notophthalmus rather than the more commonly available Cr. wallacci or Cr. compressiceps due to territorial issues unless you can buy an already bonded pair in a tank that size though.

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
Also, while I haven't kept this variant yet, from what I've seen from others on forums the Rio Tapajos regani due seem to be more territorial to each other than the 'classic' regani. This is from people that have kept both locations. The Rio Tapajos is the most commonly one seen now a days, I haven't seen the classic form since Brazil tightened exports.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….