• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

male not colouring up

borderboy

Hey guys,
I've had my a.cacatuoides just over a month now (1m 3f) and my male hasn't coloured up at all. I thought he was a subordinate when I bought him but given a few weeks he would colour up but it just hasn't happened. Any ideas?
I have a 3ft tank which the apistos share with some corys, Ottos, silver tips and glowlights. The females all seem to have set up territories quite happily and the male does display a little to them but he isn't the bold dominant male I thought he would develop into. Thanks in advance.
Apologies for the poor quality picture
20151125_150205.jpg

gerald

5 Year Member
He probably just needs more time, assuming he's eating well and otherwise acting normal. If he's not eating much, or looks thin, rapid breathing, bulging eyes, cloudy fin edges, etc, then he might be sick. The photo is not clear enough to see these things.

borderboy

Thanks. Yeah he's absolutely fine health wise. A little skittish at times perhaps but it's not like he hides all the time. I've just not known a male not to colour up before. Hopefully it is just a matter of time :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rileylouie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….