• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Borellii with Scarlet Badis?

AboveBeyond

Has anyone had these two species successfully together? I have a 29g heavily planted tank.

If the Scarlet Badis will cause issues, I'll remove them and add additional Borellii. How many would do well in my 29g tank?

Thanks!

abrooks12376

Think the badis would just get beat or chomped. Don't let their small stature fool you, they go hard.. neither would back down in a territorial dispute and the apistos would.win that battle 10/10

gerald

5 Year Member
Agree with abrooks, they probably wont like each other (Dario and Apistos are too similar in behavior). BUT ... a 29 gal is fairly deep and Scarlet "Badis" (Dario dario) are plant spawners, so they don't need bottom caves (like true Badis do). With dense plants in the upper half of the tank it just might work OK, especially if you add several 3" pieces of floating black plastic pipe (3/4 to 1 inch diam) to serve as Dario houses. This would NOT likely work with Badis species, which would compete more directly with the cichlids for bottom caves, and would probably lose.

AboveBeyond

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning toward removing the Dario Dario and getting another female Borellii (so M/F/F). Maybe add a couple more mid/top water fishes.

MickeM

5 Year Member
Has anyone had these two species successfully together? I have a 29g heavily planted tank.

If the Scarlet Badis will cause issues, I'll remove them and add additional Borellii. How many would do well in my 29g tank?

Thanks!
So.., do you already have the Dario dario with an Apisto couple??? Or am I misunderstanding the situation..?
(if you do..I wouldn`t change anything.. unless you want some fry from the Dario)

As gerald mentions..Dario dario doesn`t work exactly like the Badis..
I`ve seen them spawn in my tanks some years ago...almost like a Trichogaster gourami!!!
Male squeezing himself around the female.. the eggs are veeery tiny..!!

MickeM

5 Year Member
Some pics... Dario dario..

Attachments

• 724.JPG
    724.JPG
    612.7 KB · Views: 548
  • 726.JPG
    726.JPG
    664.3 KB · Views: 666
  • 734.JPG
    734.JPG
    458 KB · Views: 568
  • 731.JPG
    731.JPG
    528.6 KB · Views: 698

gerald

5 Year Member
The guys who recruit kids to collect them probably tell the kids to go out and collect just the little red fish. There's very few females available in USA too. I bred them once years ago (Dave Sanchez in FL sent me a pair) and got mostly male offspring (something like 15 male, 2 female).

MickeM

5 Year Member
I got 70% males and 30% females when I was breeding Dario dario some years ago..
Here in Stockholm I can order from some domestic wholesalers..and getting 90%-10%..
If ordering from a German wholesaler, I may get better/more equal gender distribution .. but then we often get younger specimen..often cheaper, but hard to identify.., demanding some extra time until reaching full maturity..
and colored males have probably already been sorted out/selected even before arriving to them..??
Mostly, that is no problem I think..as long as we get sooome females...!!!
... if buying many... we also have a chance to let the animals choose their partners.., and to give them some alternatives.. instead of
only buying 2 individuals without any options..!!??

And in this way.... we will get some more time to enjoy their lives and adventures!!!:)

This situation/problem also tend to be the case with other small beautiful fishes... Poecilocharax weitzmani, Pseudoepiplatys annulatus,
Hemiramphodon tengah
and other similar fishes..

Last edited:

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi Karin +all..

Females are mostly grey, but with a touch of Orange color on/in the belly/stomach where they have their eggs..
If you look at the 4th pic I posted at Thursday, you can see a "blurry" female to the right..just below the male..
But she is standing with her head turned back from the camera ..!!

/Micke

MickeM

5 Year Member
..And the male swims very funny to impress the females.. almost like Mikrogeophagus ramirezi...,
.but in a more vertical "up and down" -behaviour!!!:):)

MickeM

5 Year Member
Yes, you are correct Rod..!! Very good comment...!

With borelli it may work if you are having a well-structured/planned tank I guess...
With real Blackwater/Low pH-Apistos - No !!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….