• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mystery wilds, Colombia. Can somebody help please?

Emma Pic

DSC_0943.JPG
received_10155601578875532.jpeg

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
You will have to wait for some-one to give you a proper ID (based upon the <"shape of the caudal blotch in the male">), but superficially the male fish with its red blotched cheeks looks like "A. viejita CFII" = A. sp. Rotflecken/Red-flecked.

Details are in Mike Wise's posts here:<"http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/threads/viejita-rio-meta-or-macmasteri.8551/page-2">.

As well as the recent import of the true A. viejita, we had <"A. sp. Schwarzkehl/Black-throat"> (which may be a colour morph of the same species as A sp. Rotflecken) imported into the UK a couple of years ago, but I'm not aware that they are still being kept.

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Will be interesting to see how they mature
ie If the faint brown edge to dorsal turns red in time?

I'm just curious, what would the brown edge turning red mean to you? I get the feeling that you think a red dorsal seam is diagnostic for the true A. viejita, but it is not always true.

Emma Pic

Thanks for your replies.
I will upload a new photo.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-06-03-21-36-55.png
    Screenshot_2015-06-03-21-36-55.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 418

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Nice, the start of caudal extensions showing in the photo would confirm that the fish is A. macmasteri.

cheers Darrel

Larry Rogers

5 Year Member
Thanks darrel.
I thought they might be. Their certainly a lot nicer than the tank bred ones
Enter one more vote for macmasteri. I have seen some truly great color in healthy wild fish. I have never seen a prettier pair of caucatoides than the first wild caught pair I had.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomek B.

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….