• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Snail Eaters for Apisto Tank

Jonathan Aquair

5 Year Member
I know we've all dealt with it, that random invasion of tiny snails who's only purpose is to mess up your perfect tank.

I've been battling pond snails in my most recent tank, a 75 gallon (48x18x21 in) S.A. biotope-ish tank for my A. bitaeniata & P. scalare.

I was wondering, are there are any good snail-exterminators that stay under ~4-3in (~10-75cm)? I know dwarf loaches are good ( I have a "skunk" loach, Yasuhikotakia morleti, in another tank), but is there something smaller/less aggressive?

Here is the tank and current stock:

1 pair of A. bitaeniata
1 P. scalare (I might take him out or add 2 more)
5 black neon tetras (will be adding 3-5 more to help fill the space)
5 glowlight tetras (will be adding 3-5 more ^ )
6-7 Otocinclus sp. (May be adding 3-5 more)
1 Ancistrus sp. (bushy-nose)

IMG_7572.JPG
IMG_7574.JPG

[The plant density on the left will increase in a month or so..]

Thanks all,
J.A.

P.S.
How many, if any at all, Corydoras habrosus/pygmaeus could I add?

Mol_PMB

Assassin snails. Mine tolerate very soft water, and have even reproduced occasionally. But they may struggle if its very acidic.

Linus_Cello

5 Year Member
When my rams were still alive, my Colomesus asellus would eat snails and leave the rams alone. I still have discus in the tank with the puffers (and no snails). Not sure how these would do with outer apistos.

Sweety

I'm another one to vote for Assassin snails plus they aren't a bad looking snail either being yellow & black striped. They are single sexed so you need both M&F before they breed but when they do breed it's slow & if food source for them drops the big one pray on the smaller ones so you don't get over run with them i'm now having to feed the snail blood worm as all pest snails have gone

viejo

5 Year Member
When my rams were still alive, my Colomesus asellus would eat snails and leave the rams alone. I still have discus in the tank with the puffers (and no snails). Not sure how these would do with outer apistos.

I kept SA puffers with apistos (mostly cacatoides) years ago with no major problems aside from the puffers nailing the occasional tetra.

skoram

SA puffer (Colomesus asellus) is a good choice if you don't care about breeding. I've kept one for about 3 years with tetras, rams, apistos even Amano shrimp. he pretty much leaves all of them alone though he will go after anything that is weak or injured. apistos actually bully the puffer whenever they are competing in the same area for food. I have few doubts though that the puffer would slowly pick off any fry that hatched in the tank.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….