• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rainbow Cichlids

Martin

They are awesome community fish when not spawning. In a tank overstocked with all sorts from neon tetras to rams and kribs they were super to keep, absolutely no agression towards other fish. They max out between 3-4" and there colors are awesome and can change in a heart beat.

They do need swimming space so 20" is minimum. they work well with plants and hang out mostly from the middle of the tank down.

Hope this helps

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Archocentrus multispinosus? I haven't had these in decades, back when they were classified as Herotilapia multispinosa.:D Size? Mine grew to well of 5"/12.5cm so not really a true dwarf cichlid. That being said, they have a very mild disposition for a Central American heroine cichlid. I used them to eat snails; they love them. Supposedly very easy to breed, but mine wouldn't co-operate for me.

Rico Suave

i picked out a pair at the ACA last year and i they bred multiple times and but i only raised the first batch becasue my lfs said they want some but then they changed their minds so i feed them off to my ornate bichir....my pair is still going strong will breed as soon as i start feeding heavy on frozen foods....i think my male is about 3.5" and the female is about shy of 2.5"super good parents nice breeding colors ...just do alot of water changes and keep your water clean

Rico Suave

I've already kept them for awhile, I know their care..... But I wanted some opinions as to tank size.
o why didnt u say that lol i had mines in a 10gallon bare bottom box filter with a piece of indian almond leaf and piece of slate to spawn on and hide under

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
In a 10?? That's like living in a phone booth (remember those?). It can be done, but not very comfortable. For me, I think that a 20H would be the minimum that I personally would feel good keeping them in; something even larger if part of a community.

Rico Suave

In a 10?? That's like living in a phone booth (remember those?). It can be done, but not very comfortable. For me, I think that a 20H would be the minimum that I personally would feel good keeping them in; something even larger if part of a community.
lolll yes i remember phone booths...i had to do it at the time because i had just gotten back from the ACA with a suitcase full of fish and didnt have the big real estate for each fish...i had to get 15 new 10 gallons as soon as i got off the plane to house most of the fish....but i would deff recommend the biggest tank you can get for them...right now my pair is in a mix community tank with some african bush fish, pair of geophagus brasiliensis that was getting bullied in my other tank and a little over zealous guianacara gaeyi in a 55 gallon with a bunch of pvc pipes and 4 box filters for filtration and a weekly 50% w/c

duane stuermer

5 Year Member
I grew out 10 in a 60 gal tall tank, they were @ 1" back in May 2014 when I picked them up.

Back in Feb, they hit 3"-4".

Just moved them to a 500 gal kiddy pool to allow for spawning.

Chromedome

5 Year Member
Duane, if you've had them over a year, they should have been breeding months ago. They are quite precocious, and I've seen them spawn as young as 6 months.

The first Cichlid I ever had spawn for me, I've bred them in 10 gallon tanks, which is not a problem at 2-2.5 inches. However, I would not keep them there long term. In the wild they tend to live in colonies, and I've heard from those who keep them this way that the behavior is much more fascinating. I also would not keep them in a deep tank, or with larger CA species. By nature they live in very shallow areas with poor oxygen levels, where the large fish cannot easily go. These areas are also some of the warmest waters, and IMO a lot of folks don't give them the warmth needed for breeding.

Fishbase gives largest recorded size as 17cm, that's almost 7 inches; I've never seen one near that size. 5 inchers are rare, most people don't give them the necessary conditions for maximum growth. This does NOT mean they are abusing them! They rarely reach that size in the wild due to the habitats they utilize. I would call 3.5-4 inches the average in captivity. Their nature is to adapt to small spaces, but personally I wouldn't keep a single pair long term in anything less than a 30 inch long tank. Single pairs almost always turn on one another without targets, such as swordtails or mollies. (I just personally dislike high 20 gal. tanks for Cichlids.)

duane stuermer

5 Year Member
I believe it was a bit too cold in my house for them to spawn until now, water temps in winter were high 60sF and have just started to warm up.
I moved the multispinossa to the kiddy pool when Cichlasoma dimerus "bella union"spawned in the tank they shared, being from Uruguay, the dimerus seemed to work well in the coo water.

Water in the kiddy pool is only 12" deep, but being a 5' X 8' rectangle should give the colony plenty of space to divide up into separate territories.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….