• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma cf. cacatuoides (Rio Acre)

Tom C

5 Year Member
As some of you might have noticed in the "Apisto news" section at my site, I brought back a few fishes from the Rio Acre, Peru in October 2014. I didn't collect them myself, but bought them from a fisherman who had collected them in the Peruvian part (at least he said so...) of the Rio Acre.

At my site I showed a fish with a greenish tint:

resizeimage.aspx

After a few month in captivity, these fishes have changed appearance "a little bit":

The female has fry, and shows no black abdominal stripes:

resizeimage.aspx

and the male doesn't know he is a form of A. cacatuoides, so instead of a few red spots in the caudal fin, he's got plenty of red in the posterior part of dorsal fin!
I love surprises like this:

resizeimage.aspx

Tom C

5 Year Member
Well, they have fry, and I would happily give you some of them, when they have grown for a while...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
OK, Tom, I'll take some!:D The species is different from any other cacatuoides-group species that I've seen. What stands out as diagnostic/different is the exceptionally wide superorbital stripe that runs across the forehead, between the eyes.

Tom C

5 Year Member
...What water conditions do you keep then in?
Nothing special, really: Slightly peat-filtered water to bring the pH down to around 6 and the conductivity down to around 50 microSiemens. Temperature 26 degrees C.
One pair in the tank, and a few Copellas as dither-/target-fish. Just a little water movement, floating plants (Ceratopteris sp.) all over, fine sand and lots of oak leaves as substrat, lots of wood, and the tank is 75cm long x 50cm wide x 35cm high.

Tom C

5 Year Member
OK, Tom, I'll take some!:D The species is different from any other cacatuoides-group species that I've seen. What stands out as diagnostic/different is the exceptionally wide superorbital stripe that runs across the forehead, between the eyes.
Maybe different enough to be labelled A. sp. aff. cacatuoides (Rio Acre)?
You're allways welcome to collect in my tanks, Mike ;)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I am certain that it is a species different from A. cacatuoides. Since it hasn't any common name "A. sp. aff. cacatuoides (Rio Acre)" is as good as any other. Collecting in your tanks would be fun, but collecting from the wild would be more fun and cost only a little more.;)

Tom C

5 Year Member
...Since it hasn't any common name "A. sp. aff. cacatuoides (Rio Acre)" is as good as any other...
As the name A. sp. "Rio Acre" was the former name of Apistogramma acrensis, we should not use this.
Suggestions for provisional name other than "A. sp. aff. cacatuoides (Rio Acre)" would be appreciated! Anybody?

mixmixi

Just a pair of Apistogramma salpinction would do... :D
Well I am admitting I had to search for the name and look in books to find out what you are asking me. Although I'd love to have a pair of these, but I am afraid in no possible way I cannot return the favour with what you are asking, Tom. :confused::confused::confused:

Microman

5 Year Member
I thought about A. sp. aff. cacatuoides "Aquiry". The Rio Acre is called Rio Aquiry by those Peruvian locals who use the the Iñapari language, a critically endangered indigenous language spoken by very few people now in Perú.

Its a cracking looking Cac Tom... Your pictures always seem to highlight the spectacular blues in the finnage of some Apistos.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomek B.

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….