• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

G'day from Toronto

Greg

Hi all. I'm just 10 days into Apisto ownership so still lurking and learning. I have a pair of A. baenschi, things were going okay until yesterday when the female started having trouble swimming. She disappeared for a few days after I introduced them so I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. I was already looking for at least another female but will probably want 2 now... I may add a harem of A. caucatoides but unsure about mixing the species and while there's plenty of volume in the tank the footprint is small (it is 24" wide by 16" deep) so I'm stocking it as stacked 10 gallons (upper and lower layer fish) to not crowd them
The tank is just over a month old. It's also home to a school of black neon tetras. I'll add some hatchetfish when the tank is more mature. I originally wanted to add some cories but the Apistos came first - so I'll need to choose some other bottom dweller (shrimps probably). There's also Zippy the Ramshorn snail scooting about who hitchhiked in on some plants.

My tank: 100 litre, bowfront (tall), Eheim 2217, planted with Bacopa sp. japan, Amazon swords, Amazon frogbits, bamboo grass. Last water test everything was zero or barely over but the pH is around 7.2 - I'm not terribly worried as I use RO and DW.

Greg

Here's some video I just caprtured of my male Apistogramma baenschi:

https://flic.kr/p/r65h7M

I am wondering if he's really A. baenschi? He seems a bit dull colored compared to other pictures I've seen and doesn't seem to have much of a dorsal fin either, never has.
It wouldn't surprise me if he isn't baenschi - I thought I was buying 2 wild caught sisters. He may have started as a sneaker male.

Greg

This upload was successful:

Not sure why the other truncated but it still has some decent footage of the male A. baenschi.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buthag

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….