• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ragnar's Apistos

M1dzj3T

Hi all!

Let's begin with a long intro
Started apistogramma almost exactly a year ago and had kind of a rocky start with a panduro pair that began by not eating and then fighting and so on. sadly the male died after a few spawns and I bought a new one which didn't like my female and killed her. I bought him a new female that was quite big (the older one was very small) she turned yellow right away and found herself a cave, everything seemed fine until 2 days later she had her mouth wide open and couldn't close it and died within six hours.

In another tank i had a trio of "Cacatuoides double red" which I later sold because i decided i like the natural color forms better.

for a few months the only apisto I had was a fry from the panduro pair that refuses to eat anything that is not living and therefore grows very slow.

in December I got myself a pair of Baenschi which is now living in a Juwel Rio 180 which is set up as a blackwater community
also housing:
15 cardinal tetra
9 glowlight tetra
7 Dicrossus filamentosus (I think, at least a checkerboard but none have full color)
5 black phantom tetra
5 Otocinclus sp.
1 apistogramma panduro fry
1 farlowella acus

The pair has spawned like a clockwork on 14 day intervals but first now did they have a successful spawn and the female has been guarding fry for over a week now and still keeping them alive!

10525607_10205021223083910_658988068287638835_n.jpg

Tonight I visited a friend and got a trio of Borellii "Bella Union" which he caught himself and now they are in their own 15 gallon tank. Ten minutes after arriving the fish are eating microworms, displaying and looking at coconuts. (the photo is taken just after release)

10933706_10205074435734193_3303207394039786957_n.jpg

Ekona

5 Year Member
Welcome and thanks for sharing! Great looking aquarium - excellent layout and design. Check nitrate levels and be sure to keep them as low as possible <10ppm or lower if possible. You have a very nice community tank and therefore all the interactions that will take place between the species. If you want to breed and have lots of apisto fry survive, you may have to remove the other fishes or move the apistos. Or maybe just enough fry will survive in the community tank. Whatever you choose - very nice work:)

M1dzj3T

Thank you, it was parasites that killed the first pair, and I guess fighting in the latter females case ;)

The bottom of the community tank is covered in peat fiber which acts both as a sanctuary for fry and also as a surface for small organisms.
10917850_10204997076880270_8615487409634719181_n.jpg
but the market for apistos here in iceland is very small so I'm not looking into breeding a lot, if I was they would have their separate tank :)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….