• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

wtf should i do??

Rico Suave

i want to double stack 125s so i can move all my fish in to 2 tanks for ease of management...but my lfs told me they dont carry the metal stand to fit both 125 on top and bottom...i could get the 180 metal stand and slide the bottom tank in threw the sides but will have a 6in gap from the back of the tank and the stand... idk if i should do this or make a diy stand?

also i am going to upgrade from the 125s to 210/180s in the next yr or so i just need the 125s to condense my fish for the next couple months....i am planing on making the 125s into planted tanks when i get the bigger tanks but should i get the 210/ 180s now and get the 125s later down the road or get the 125s now and the 210/180 later? i been running crazy trying to figure this out with no help from any fish keeping friends so i need some help....i have the $$$ to spend i have been saving up since last year and want to do it right..

i currently want to take down 3 55gallon tanks, 4-5 10gallons and some other smaller tanks with single fish for qt purpose and make a separate south american tank and separate central american tank..

Linus_Cello

5 Year Member
Check Craigslist to see if a double stack 125 stand is available?
What's wrong with having 6 inches in the back? You could use it for storage, or maybe put canister filters there (will need a little more clearance), or the HOB filter(s).

Rico Suave

Check Craigslist to see if a double stack 125 stand is available?
What's wrong with having 6 inches in the back? You could use it for storage, or maybe put canister filters there (will need a little more clearance), or the HOB filter(s).
im buying new tanks this is going in my living room so alotttt of people will see...i took a look over there but nothing to my liking

but with the 6in gap i dont want this tank to fall threw it some how i know i can use a plywood board under it but i dont think it will be able to double stack with it due to height constraints.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If you can't find something specifically to fit your needs, then I suggest going to a custom iron-works fabricator and discuss your needs with them. It might be a bit expensive, but you wrote "i have the $$$ to spend".

Rico Suave

If you can't find something specifically to fit your needs, then I suggest going to a custom iron-works fabricator and discuss your needs with them. It might be a bit expensive, but you wrote "i have the $$$ to spend".

i was looking into getting a t slot aluminum stand if your heard of one...i had some one quote me a price of about 850$ with shipping and it will double stack 210s but idk if it will hold the weight as it says

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Aluminum is a very expensive material to weld, which increases cost. If properly constructed with the right size aluminum it will hand your tanks fine. Just make sure that your floor will handle the weight. That's what is more important. Personally I would use powder-coated steel; more likely to find a builder locally, cheaper, and stronger (I think), and if properly cared for won't rust.

Rico Suave

Aluminum is a very expensive material to weld, which increases cost. If properly constructed with the right size aluminum it will hand your tanks fine. Just make sure that your floor will handle the weight. That's what is more important. Personally I would use powder-coated steel; more likely to find a builder locally, cheaper, and stronger (I think), and if properly cared for won't rust.

the stand im referring to is held together but bolts and corner wedges (is the best way i can explain it) but i did manage to locate a welder who will let me use his machine so i might just do it myself

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….