• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mikrogeophagus ramirezi wild or not ?

Lusitanos67

Hey,

I need your help to discover if those ramirezi are wild or not ?
It's so strange to have this color on female isn't it ?
How do you know if the fish is really a wild fish or not (for ramirezi) ?

I think this is a wild, because of its mouth
20141118_180712_scale_800x1500.jpg

This female is so strange, it's look like a commercial ram, but it was sold as wild...
20141118_180811_scale_800x1500.jpg

A another wild male
20141118_180842_scale_800x1500.jpg

thanks a lot for your response, and sorry for my english so bad.

gerald

5 Year Member
I think they look like wild-type rams, but there's no way to tell for sure if they are actually wild caught or captive-bred (unless you want to dissect them and look for certain parasites that could only have come from the wild). Pink belly on mature females is natural. The hobby has forgotten how beautiful the natural wild-type fish can be, with all the crazy mutants now in the trade.

rr16

5 Year Member
I saw balloon rams the other day in a shop. I just don't see the point! The wild-type are beautiful fish!

themountain

5 Year Member
No offense, but your fish doesent look healthy(skinny,sunk in head part, etc) Its very difficult to say , as mentioned, if they are bred or wild caught, but for me worked as an indicator always that wild rams never, I mean never ever, touched dry food . In my avatar is one of my males from Venezuela.

gerald

5 Year Member
Nice! is he a wild-caught? I would have guessed "German" strain based on the bulky head/body, but maybe wilds can get like that too with enough food.

Rod

5 Year Member
I'd assume "Wild caught"...;)
red on female is normal
Treat them in a separate tank for internal worms(typical problem with wild caught fish)....
then feed them on live food,
Black worms,mossie lava,daphnia,brine shrimp
to get them back into top condition....:)
Make sure water is very soft and warm

abrooks....stunning male!!!

abrooks12376

Female is wc, male is locally bred, dude knows how to breed them the right way apparently. He's heath as an ox and very interactive. ate $15 worth of glosso and I was happy he had a nice meal:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….