• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Possible Steel Blue ID? Help?

tobraham

As a beginner apistogramma collector, I was drawn to these small blue apistos at my LFS (Finatics in Richland, Washington). These were labeled as 'Apistogramma Borellii Steel Blue'. Upon some further research, I find that they may be Apistogramma Steel Blue hybrid species, but am unsure. Could anyone help me ID these blue/yellow beauties? The LFS said there are females available and I wouldn't mind breeding some males and females. They are about 3/4'' long and have yellowish/orange eyes, with some yellow sheen to the top of the head and extending to the front of the top fin... and are a blue/grey sheen everywhere else. Sorry for the potato quality pictures, the first and last of these pictures are probably the clearest.
1MlrZCB.jpg
nT2yt9r.jpg
9hRo55h.jpg
wwmH0hV.jpg
Af1W46s.jpg
Any info I find online is a bit confusing and sometimes contradictory. Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

zOrQ9XQ.jpg

tobraham

Oh crap. Will these do well with my Cockatoo Cichlids? I hope my LFS will take these back if they are rams....

tobraham

Update: The LFS owner saw the pics of my 'borellii steel blue' and admitted that his salt water guy who was on duty the day of purchase had sold me Electric Blue Rams. He took the rams back and is ordering more Cockatoo Cichlids for me. There were actual steel blue apistogramma there, males and females... but I decided to go the all cockatoo tank instead of a mixed tank. Thank you SO MUCH for your help. Your advice probably saved one or more of my fish from death. Wooh.. there is so much to know when it comes to fish!

tobraham

The store is Finatics Tropical Fish, located in the Uptown Shopping Center in Richland, WA. Good selection there for sure

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….