• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Laetacara Curviceps

Martin

Hello all,

After my post in the introduction forum, I've had quick replies from Mike and Darrel regarding identification of Curviceps , I thought I'd continue the post here as it seems more appropriate.

After reading Darrels reply I googled Laetacara and also realized that these are Curviceps. So thank you Darrel for pointing me in the right direction and Mike for confirming them as curviceps.

I went to my LFS this morning and picked up what I think is a pair of these awesome looking cichlids. they are currently in my quarantine/nursery tank and going strong.

The bigger of the two has more pointed dorsal and anal fins and the smaller one lacks the copper/rusty colored marking on its flanks but has two small black spots on the dorsal fin.

The above tank is only 9g and I've already seen some "interesting" behaviour. The bigger of the two, which I think is the male, seems to flash and chase the smaller one. This carries on for about 5 seconds then they both swim together again. Is this normal behaviour for male and female or more about one guy being bigger than the other.

I'll post some pics tonight.

Could these little guys be kept with keyhole's and what footprint of tank would you suggest?

Regards
Martin

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Seems like the larger (male) is trying to impress the smaller (female?). Keyholes and curviceps should be fine together. I suggest something with a length of 36"/90cm or larger.

briztoon

5 Year Member
Hi Martin, see my two posts in your other thread. Seems like you nailed it for a male and female. I used to breed Laetacara species in 2x1x15" tanks. I used to have a 6 foot tank that had multiple pairs of curviceps and keyholes in it, but never tried anything smaller with just a pair of each.

Martin

Thanks everyone,

Here are some pics:
I "think" this is the guy.

And I assume this is the girl.

Sorry about the pics, its my phone, I don\t own a camera lol.

Thanks briztoon, regarding the Keyholes, I'd rather leave them separate then. maybe I'll hunt for for different Laetacara's or would some Apistos work with these curviceps in a Lido 120

Regards
Martin

briztoon

5 Year Member
I'm really not a fan of mixing dwarf species from the same genus in the one tank. For two main reasons, often one species will be much more aggressive than another, and you face the risk of different species pairing up and producing hybrid fry.

My experience with Laetacara would be that dorsigera would bully curviceps. These being the two most common species available and ones I have kept and bred the most.

If you really wanted to do a dwarf tank, I'd look at possibly a small group of Bolivian rams to go with curviceps in the one tank. It really comes down to how large your tank is, and how well planted and aquascaped it is. If the tank was large enough, I'd be tempted to also try a pair of Apistogramma cacatuoides in there. Say if you had a 36"x18"x18" (90cmx45cmx45cm) that was well planted with thin val, echinodorus varieties, some decent pieces of driftwood, and some apisto caves.

Something like this.

Martin

Thanks for the info briztoon. Nice tank you have there.

The lido has a smallish footprint 61x41x58cm (aprox 24"x16"x23") so I am quite limited in terms of territorial space....

I would like keeping Bolivians with them but lately all the Rams available in South Africa seem to be supplied with 7 day expiry date, I've had 2 pairs(not bolivians, they were gbr and the "newer" electric blue) spawn and die a week afterwards without any change in water chemistry, seems like real bad breeding practices by the suppliers...

I understand that curviceps pair off so would a second female become an issue or would it even be possible to house 2 pairs in this size tank.

I would like to plant their tank relatively heavy using moneywart. anubius some ferns and pieces of root. I'm also considering hornwart to float and dim the lights.

Lastly, dither fish, should I replace the tetras with something less "busy"?
I have 2 Oto cats in the Lido to take care of the algae, but they seem to be quite safe with the curviceps, even currently in the small quarantine tank.

Regards
Martin

Martin

Hello all,

Well, it seems like I do have a pair of Curviceps afterall... They spawned yesterday!
(Male at the top)

Here's the male doing his thing:

This is their first spawn so I'm not expecting much...The strange thing is they spawned right at the front of the tank, there are some roots and plants around but they are pretty exposed.

I'll update if the fry hatch, tank mates are 7 rummynose tetra and 2 corydoras sterbai so survival will be tough...

Regards
Martin

Martin

Congratulations, I wish you to see the puppies. Good luck...

Well, unfortunately I only managed to save one baby, it is about 15mm long now.

But there is a new batch on the way, they started swimming yesterday, and they've had their first couple of BBS feedings
CurvF02_zpsm7tvaswp.jpg

As you can see the female is almost completely black.

Regards
Martin

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….