• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP

IanHill

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my a. Agassizi and how to treat her.

The perameters are all 0 and the tank is over filtered.

Tank mates are bolivian Rams , GBR, danios and kulhi loaches.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Looks like condition known as Exopthalmia or "pop-eye", it might be caused by physical damage to the eye, or it maybe be caused by an internal bacterial infection.

With the normal disclaimer that I'm not very good at this, I also think it is a male.

cheers Darrel

IanHill

Thanks for the reply, what would be the treatment for it? Would melafix treat this.

I thought this was a female as only the tail is red the other 1 I have has red and the tail and dorsal fin

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi Ian,
I think I was looking at the top picture, that fish looks male.

If the fish in the bottom 2 photos is different? It might be a female, particularly if it has black leading edges to the ventral fins and a rounded tail (bottom photo)?

The pictures are quite blurry on this lap-top.

Melafix won't do any harm, the problem is that if it is an internal bacterial infection it may well have gone too far to be treatable. If the scales are slightly raised (might just be the blurriness of the middle photo) it is "dropsy" and unfortunately probably not treatable.

cheers Darrel

IanHill

Hi Darrel,

All the pics are the same fish, I know there blurry as they were taken on my iPhone so I could get them on here ASAP,

Is there any other treatment the scales all look ok apart from the eye .

Cheers Ian

briztoon

5 Year Member
Generally clean water is the best treatment for pop eye.

I've only experienced it with my wild bettas, usually I think they've scratched their eye. I just up my water changes to once per day, about 50% per water change. I also add my own home made IAL (Indian Almond Leaf) tea to my water change barrel. Usually the popped eye is back to normal in about a week.

But this easy for me as all my tanks are small, and I usually have a few hours every morning before I start work to do what ever in the fishroom.

Oh, and my initial reaction to the photos was that looks like a young/subdominant male to me as well.

IanHill

Every day is a bit hard as the tank is 180 litre and I work 12-14 hour nights, I do 70-80% every 4 days I'm goin to start a course of pimafix today and see if that helps, thank you fir the help and sex

gerald

5 Year Member
This is not just an eye problem. The belly is obviously bloated too, suggesting probable damage to the kidney or other organs. The fish has lost ability to regulate its water/salt balance and can't excrete the excess water, which leads to swelling behind the eyes and in the abdomen. It could be from infection, diet imbalance, water quality issues, or other causes. Assuming it is infection, I would move this fish to a separate tank before it dies and other fish start nibbling on the body. Salt (1 teasp/gal) might help a little in making the fish's water/salt balance work easier. As far as curing the infection, it's a shot in the dark. Sometimes metronidazole, kanamycin, naladixic acid, or other anitibiotics help, but more often they dont. Good luck and let us know what happens.

IanHill

I think it's just the angle of the pics as lookin at the fish the belly doesn't look bloated, I started a course of pimafix so see if that helps, I have some aquarium salt would that help also if so for regular would you dose?

Thank you all for the advice

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
h1ns

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….