• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stocking A 75

Jonathan Aquair

5 Year Member
So I have a 75 sitting in my basement just begging to get some new apistos, so, obviously, the only possible conclusion is to make it an Apisto tank.:D. The tank will look along the lines of Slimbolen99's A. Schwarzkinn tank ( http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/threads/75-gal-a-schwarzkinn-black-chin-setup.12029/), but this tank will also be a "show-tank", the leaf litter will be denser and the back 6-9in will be very dense planting.

My question to you all is
How many (males : females) would you recommended is the limit for the tank (48" x 18" x 21")

The Species that I'm considering are:
A. Bitaeniata
A. Cacatuoides
A. Kelleri
A. Trifasciata

briztoon

5 Year Member
I have no experience with a species only display tank. But I would take 1 of 2 approaches.

1. Buy as many "trios" as you can afford and overstock the tank somewhat to spread aggression between both sexes and colony as a whole. Something along the lines of at least 6 males and 12 females.

2. Or buy a pair, hope they spawn, and see if they can populate the tank with their progeny.

mixmixi

Trio is a very wrong idea in my opinion for aquariums unless you have two tanks and swap the male after spawn from one to the other one. Also having more than one PAIR is wrong too. There will be aggression as a result of spawning, so really you don't want to look at them fighting each other no matter how big your tank is, it is still a tank... I never keep anything more than pairs and with some pairs, I feel even male must be removed after a successful spawn. Atahualpa is one of them...

Jonathan Aquair

5 Year Member
Interesting, I haven't had any typically monogamous Apistos before ( e.g. A. Panduro), but I tend to use trios whenever possible.

My previous Cacatuoides "Orange Flash" colony started with 1:2 M:F in a 33 long, and I later added in a wild female and male to help with biodiversity. Everything worked out amazingly. The males had a few fights now an then but nothing serious, the orange flash was dominant 'till he died of age, then the wild took over. But the females all stayed in their third of the tank and never really bothered the males or each other.

here is the tank before a fry harvest and "re-leafing" (I'd reccomend skipping to 1+ min. in)

Last edited:

tobraham

Huh... my Orange Flash females are aggressive towards each other in a 34 gallon (2m/4f). Johnathan, I've watched many of your videos on Youtube... especially the breeding apistos series of 4 videos. Thank you for your contribution, I've learned A LOT from your videos. Currently I have a GIANT female cacatouides (pictured). Ever see a girl this big? Just got her from the LFS and I'm wondering if anyone with experience has seen a cacatouides female this large (about as large as an adult male, if not slightly larger).

wXZFQ5I.jpg

Last edited:

ErtyJr

I have never seen one that big, but that female could be a male. Could you get a better picture of the pelvic fins please. And just in general more finage is needed to properly id.

Males who are submissive often take on the colors of females to avoid being beaten and picked on.

Jonathan Aquair

5 Year Member
I'd almost agree with Erty. He is correct that non-dominant males will show less finnage and subdued colors, but I've never seen a male with so much gold. And I'm doubtful that any of the newer Caca var. "gold" show a lateral line. But then aagain, the fins on that fish are longer than the typical female.

Well, one way or another that Caca is MASSIVE.

tobraham

I've been in contact with the breeder who sold this fish to my LFS. The breeder confirmed that my fish is 2+ years old and has bred for him before. She's verrrry aggressive towards other tank mates, and I may trade her back to the breeder so I can half my 34 gallon for 1 trio (1m/2f), and a pair. Here are a few other pics I have of her... she's at least 3x larger than my other females. Last pic is one of my 'regular sized' females.
BzD7OMh.jpg
2IFkvP6.jpg
MubagPa.jpg
6ahNjkb.jpg
CZCP4eW.jpg

ErtyJr

After looking through the pics, it does "appear" to be female, but there is only one pic I can see the pelvic fins and it's not a great shot. Generally I look for black in their pelvic fins to determine sex, I have never seen a male with black in the pelvic fins before. Even a "sneaker male"

More pics would help but I do think it's just a really really big female. If you bought her at over 2 years old though it would probably be best to return her as she is reaching the end of her captive life expectancy. I wouldn't want a fish I thought may die within the year.

Sidenote- the second picture make me laugh, she looks like a bass. The second pic makes her look like 18" long lol

Jonathan Aquair

5 Year Member
Yea, 90℅ certain that's s female. You got yourself a real oddity. I'd trade her back in and increase #of breeders in the tank

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….