• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. agassizii

briztoon

5 Year Member
Hey guys,

I've been out of the game for 3 years or so, and looking to get back in to it.

I am wondering if there has been any new taxonomy work on the Agassizii super complex?

Cheers.

briztoon

5 Year Member
Hey Yankee, lol. Have you got around to setting up a tank yet?

Won't be keeping any Westies for a while. Will be going Discus, apisto's and L's. hoping to start with agassizii, depending on what's available.

I am having a setup built at the moment.
1 by 4x2x2
2 by 3'x18"x18"
2 by 2x2x2
2 by 2'x1'x15"H

All drilled for fast water changes, but with large sponge filters as I don't want to have them on a sump.

The import laws change on the 1st of March in Australia, so getting back in to it now before things get silly expensive.

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
Yeah ... I had a pair of buckelkopfs for a while, but lost them while I was out of town. Went with Enigmatochromis lucanusii this time as they had been on the wish list for several years now.

I seem to remember you had a really nice agassizii back in the day ... one of the ones from around Alenquer?

Oh no, they are making the laws even more strict?!?!?

briztoon

5 Year Member
Unfortunately the local importer and retailer who used to bring in all the niche fish has shut up shop ahead of the impending import changes. I used to have a couple of varieties of Agassizii breeding, but have yet to find anyone else local who also breeds opistos. I know one of the other breeders sold up a couple of years ago, and haven't been able to track down the other.

Yeah, they are finally bringing in batch testing for Megalocytivirus (and possibly other Iridoviridae). This will see the testing costs borne by the import wholesalers and they will end up passing it on to the retailers, who will pass it on to the customers. This will price many species out of the Australian market, for example importing Discus. A lot of the different sections of the hobby are doing big imports over the next 3 months.

Hopefully it will help the local Hobbyist breeders finally be competitive against imported prices.` But the negative side is that a lot of the smaller importers and retailers are going to go out of business as they will not be able to bear added costs.

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
Okay, I thought they were restricting the import list even more species wise. Glad to hear they are not. I would have minds about the testing. Great idea, though would hate to pay more. And as you said, the smaller businesses that it would/has put out of shop is tough in a restricted market like you guys already have.

briztoon

5 Year Member
The view of some in the industry is that Biodiversity Australia eventually want to shut down all imports.

At this stage, many people are just waiting to see what will happen after March.

Many LFS have closed recently or will close by March. FB trading of livestock and dry goods, as well as Online stores have taken a real toll on brick and mortar LFS here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….