• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Collecting.....

Tom C

5 Year Member
Iquitos, Peru.

The Heros' in the exporters outdoor ponds look fantastic:

resizeimage.aspx

and so do the Rio Itaya, this time of the year:

resizeimage.aspx

So who is crazy enough to leave this for 12,5 hours downstream on the Rio Amazonas in this "Rapido",

resizeimage.aspx

just to have loads of challenges with police, papers, immigration, costs, documents, transport on land and water, housing etc. etc., and then another 12,5 hours upstream in the same boat a few days later?

Well, I know him...

The Apistogramma sp. "Kelleri" was discovered in 2006. I went to Leticia, Colombia, in 2008 with Mike Wise and Julio Melgar to find it. Some time before we arrived there, a lot of the small streams dried out (and the fish moved), and even if the water was back, we couldn't find any of the desired fishes...

After that I have kept Apistogramma sp. "Kelleri", bred it and studied wild caught specimens in my tanks, but I had not given up the dream of collecting it in the wild and see the habitat.

The internet connection here in Iquitos is not good enough to up- or download a lot of pictures, so I'll make this short (I'll publish a small report at my website later, with a few more pictures...)

I travelled from Iquitos, Peru to Leticia, Colombia, last Friday, with two peruvian fishermen friends, and in this small quebrada:

resizeimage.aspx

we found my favorite Copella: Copella vilmae

resizeimage.aspx

and amazingly: these too:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

Apistogramma sp. "Kelleri" with colors I have never seen before!

One of the females was mouthbrooding in the bag!:

resizeimage.aspx

In another small stream, 3 kilometers away, we found the more "usual" colorform, with red spots in the face:

resizeimage.aspx

resizeimage.aspx

Quite amazing to see these two so different colorforms of the same species!
As I have kept the latter form earlier, I only gave priority to bring with me a few of the "yellow" colorform.

It would be interesting to know how much the difference in color is influenced by environmental factors (if at all) or if it's purely genetics ..... of course, it has to be a kind of combination of the two.

So: Back after a 5 days trip which only resulted in 1,5 days of collecting, tired, bankrupt, with loads of physical memories from water bound and flying insects, but with memories of nice people I met, quite a few beautiful fishes in the bags, and happy, happy happy!

Ekona

5 Year Member
Amazing! C. vilmae are awesome - and so are the apistos. Love the habitat scene as well.
Thanks for sharing.

Microman

5 Year Member
Absolutely amazing Tom... And you found your C. vilmae too. Well done...
Those yellow A.sp.Kelleri females seem to have a breastband much like A.barlowi. Could it be the intermediate form between the two species?
Mark...

Last edited:

rr16

5 Year Member
Great finds and beautiful fish. They remind me so much of my barlowi. My female barlowi is possibly mouthbrooding at the moment (and think the male was yesterday) and the aggies in the same tank are breeding too (as well as the Nannostomus beckfordi which spawned today and just found a few week old fry!). Interesting point about the environment. I've often wondered whether the white vs red barlowi colourform could be environmental. My so-called white male has a much more red-colour after being lept in blackwater (although not checked how the colour appears out of blackwater!).

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
5 Year Member
Sounds like an amazing trip. I'd love to do this some day. I've only been as far south as Panama. Would LOVE to see all of S America

Tom C

5 Year Member
The Rio Corrientes

resizeimage.aspx

is a huge tributary to the lower Rio Tigre. It is therefore not a big surprise that the Apistogramma bitaeniata from this area has a similar "beauty-potensial" as the well known Rio Tigre population.

This one even showed a pink-ish body!
Apistogramma bitaeniata (Rio Corrientes):

resizeimage.aspx

This is not the only creature in the area with beautiful colours:

Probably a Ranitomeya imitator (formerly Dendrobates imitator), the bodysize was around 1 inch!:

resizeimage.aspx

themountain

5 Year Member
Gorgeous bitaeniata and the C. vilmae I saw in a tank of a exporter in Iquitos...just incredible!
Have fun and more pictures , please! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….