• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Finally, panduro! But, bittersweet...

Duffmanj

Always wanted Panduro, since i discovered Apistogramma. Managed to pick some up last weekend at the BCA convention (look it up, well worth going!). Since getting them home, they took a couple of days to settle in, but have since been flirting and finding caves etc. Today i noticed 2 things, the male can't seem to close his mouth and they both have white marks on them. Just looking for some thoughts on whether you think these are related and what you would do next? Both seem to be eating ok, water is good in a mature tank. Perhaps ich? What would you recommend for it if so? Cheers all.
uploadfromtaptalk1410704064591.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1410704078944.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The spots look hard and raised in the photos. This leads me to believe they are Ich. This usually can be cured if not too extreme. The locked jaw of the male, sadly, is something else and not related to Ich. If the male can't eventually unlock his jaw, which rarely happens, then he can't eat and slowly starves.

Duffmanj

Cheers Mike I'm inclined to agree. He has them on the inside of his mouth too. Do you mean its rare that they can't unlock them or rare when they can? Is there any point in me trying to help him by moving it myself?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Such fish rarely are able to unlock their jaw. People who have tried to 'help' have always damaged/broke the jaw and the fish died. I wish I could be more positive, sorry.

Duffmanj

So the males jaw is still stuck open. Been treating with malachite green and the bumps on him seem to have gone. Females head is getting worse though, hole in the head or something? Sorry if the pic is a bit blurry. Not having much luck with these guys!

uploadfromtaptalk1411239529314.jpg

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….