• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

another pair of apisto's

chris1805

5 Year Member
Currently i have 1 pair of a. nijsseni in my tank. I would like another pair of apisto's in there but i am not sure which one. Besides that, i don't have a big tank. It's 60x40cm and the high is 60cm which is useless for apisto's. It's a 120 liter tank (a juwel lido 120)
I was thinking myself about a pair of a. cacatuoides or maybe some rams. What do you guys think is this possible at all? My nijsseni are very friendly though and not really showing interest in each other. My water conditions are a ph of 7-7.3 and a kh of about 3. I can upload a pic of my tank later if you guys think that would help.

chris1805

5 Year Member
hmm okies, at the moment i still have 1 nannacara anomala male in my tank (which will be going to a friend if i buy another apisto) and he is doing perfectly fine with my nijssni, they really don't bother each other.

rr16

5 Year Member
My A. nijsseni (I think) male was OK in my 5ft community tank with A. agassizi, however, he is now in the smaller tank (bigger than a 120 - I have one of these with a cacatuoides pair in) with the female A. panduro who has bred. Currently the other fish neons, sailfin tetras, pygmy cories and brown pencilfish are all residing at the other side of the tank whilst the female has around half the tank to raise her fry in. If there were any other apistos in there I reckon they'd be severely harassed, despite there being lots of leaf litter and bogwood. A. nijsseni are apparently well known for their feisty nature, particularly if they spawn and breed so I wouldn't risk another pair in that tank as something will probably end up dead. I understand where you're coming from though as I want many more apistos, but I need more tanks.

chris1805

5 Year Member
hmm okay, yeah i definitely don't want any of my fish dead because of a fight. I won't take the risk, i could of course remove the eggs but i think that's not fair to the fish either. Well thanks for the help guys :) guess i just need to wait until i am 30 years old and have my own house so i can buy a tank which is 2 meters long :p

rr16

5 Year Member
To be honest, even if you remove the eggs they will probably still be very territorial when they're getting ready to breed and establish their territories. They may remain aggressive when the eggs have been removed also. I'm 35 and still don't own my own house or have a 2 metre tank!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….