• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My first post...my first cichlids.

c.liverbird

Hi...first post!
Got a beautiful pair of apistogramma hongsloi today and thought I'd share them with you!
I've housed them with 3x leopard danios. 3x pearl danios. 4x dwarf neon rainbow fish...and will be getting two Ottos in a couple of weeks.
Any tips appreciated.
uploadfromtaptalk1409507201810.jpg

merlin

5 Year Member
They should be ok with that mix, but the gravel your using is not ideal. Apistogramma are earth sifters, they filter the substrate through their mouths looking for food. That of course will not be possible with gravel.

c.liverbird

Ahhh ok.. I have noticed them picking through the substrate and spitting bits of gravel out...They are finding the pellet, I've put in for them so seems ok for now..so wil krep an eye on that. Thankyou :-D
will be getting them some live or frozen food too to supplement...blood worms or something....will look into it properly. Thanks xx

gerald

5 Year Member
I would add some darker colored sand to help make their colors brighter, as well as allowing them to sift sand through their gill rakers. (Some folks think this may have health benefits). Apistos (and many other fish) tend to stay pale over light-colored sand or gravel. You dont need to remove the gravel unless you want to; just add enough sand to fill in the gaps and cover the gravel.

c.liverbird

So I could essentially just add the sand from the bag? Sorry if thats a dumb question. ....Do you need to treat it like I did the gravel? Washing it first?

gerald

5 Year Member
Depends on the source and how dusty it is, but yes, I normally rinse new sand in tub or bucket to remove floating materials and fine particles that dont sink quickly. Do it outside with a hose so you dont get sand in your drain pipes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….