• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ram Sexing

Bercey

Sometimes I find it difficult to sex rams.

This particulars fish's fins and body size lead me to believe it's a male. Its also semi-aggressive, chasing away certain fish that come into its area of the tank. The only reason I'm not entirely sure, is that it has a bit of a pink tinge in its belly area.

So, I was wondering, do rams in general have a pink tinge in their colour? Would that explain the slight pink I see on this fish?

I've attached a couple pics to see if you guys can help me out.

Thanks in advance!

uploadfromtaptalk1408060081981.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1408060085969.jpg

gerald

5 Year Member
Yes many males do have some pink on the belly, but not as intense as females get. Also this fish does not have blue sparkles on the large black spot (females get more sparkles here), so I think this is a male.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Gerald is correct on all counts. Pink color means nothing. Extended anterior dorsal spines mean nothing, either. Both sexes can show these. For Rams with close-to0-wild coloration, the shape of the humeral spot and where the metallic blue scales are located in it are what is important.

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Yup, it is a male. The spot and metallic blue scales are only useful on certain color forms of rams. For electric blue rams, one has to rely on the shape of the body as the spot and metallic scales are no longer visible. As Mike mentioned, extended anterior dorsal spines can be seen on both male and female.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….