• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cac Orange Flash dorsal

MonteSS

I have had a couple from different sources and they seem to not have the high dorsal spines that other Cacs do. Are Orange flash different or is it not a male? Poor or bad genetics since so far from wild?

Anyone have pics of Orange flash with high dorsal extensions?

Thanks

peterclarke666

5 Year Member
certainly looks male but the lack of extended dorsal fin rays could be down to a few things like he was a sub dominant male out of a large group as there is often only one dominant male, or due to poor breeding (too much inbreeding)

ErtyJr

Hm, so how large was he when you got him. This is second hand information that I believe I read mike wise post, as I often dig through old posts looking for answers to my own questions, but I believe I read mike wise say cacatuoides are extremely slow growers and some breeders may have their fish showing colors as early as 90-100 days but often it can take 6-8 months.

So what I'm getting at is your male just may be a baby still and that is why he lacks the extensions. Him being only 2 inches is still very small for a male. One of the ways I could tell he was still small was his mouth. As they grow their mouth really seems to get bigger and bigger in comparison to the rest of em.

When I got my male off aquabid, he had only a little color and was only a bit bigger then his female. His fins were still rather small, but I fed him lots of live food and high quality pellet such as hikari, new life spectrum, dainichi color fx, and frozen cyclop-eeze, and he just keeps growing and growing and coloring up more and more. You can see his picture in my avatar. He is not "orange flash" BUT he is all orange not red and I would say about 60% of him is orange flash while the rest is triple orange, or something. I don't know what to call him. But here is the pic in my avatar.
6rZNbCn.jpg

MonteSS

Beauty Erty. I have two triple reds that are same size as the OF. They have the high dorsal and big lips.

No worries as I am not breeding and he is a cool good lokking Cac. I was just curious.

I cakk him grumpy as he always looks pissed off LOL

Thanks

ErtyJr

Hm it is quite interesting. It has a lot of qualities of a female, except I usually look for black pelvic fins which it doesn't have. Perhaps like a previous poster said it is a sub dominant male. Who knows lol. And grumpy is quite pretty lol. Nice fish!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
From what I've seen the Orange Flash strain has had the color emphasized more than the finnage. There is a photo by Koji Yamazaki in Matsuzaka (1997) that shows one of the original Orange Flash strains. This fish lacks the intense, pure, orange colored fins of modern Orange Flash and it even shows pale ocelli in the caudal. It is a young specimen, but does show long front dorsal spines. Hopefully, now that the color is so good, breeders will try to bring back the high dorsal spines.

Dano1311

From what I've seen the Orange Flash strain has had the color emphasized more than the finnage. There is a photo by Koji Yamazaki in Matsuzaka (1997) that shows one of the original Orange Flash strains. This fish lacks the intense, pure, orange colored fins of modern Orange Flash and it even shows pale ocelli in the caudal. It is a young specimen, but does show long front dorsal spines. Hopefully, now that the color is so good, breeders will try to bring back the high dorsal spines.

Hi Mike, im new to line breeding if you call it that, but how would someone get orange flash to bring out the high dorsal spines?

would it be just chancing on an orange flash that shows this trait and breeding him?

ErtyJr

Hi Mike, im new to line breeding if you call it that, but how would someone get orange flash to bring out the high dorsal spines?

would it be just chancing on an orange flash that shows this trait and breeding him?

That or crossbreeding back with other non orange flash that have the high fins and then selecting high finned offspring that show the orange flash trait and breeding them untill they breed true. Some of which will never breed 100% true. Take for example the checkering of triple reds, my male has both orange flash and checkering of a triple red and quite a bit of blue coloration in his high fins. His father was a triple red but he came out with a big mix of lots of stuff. It is also highly highly advisable and considered good practice to add in new genes from other lines as well as genes of wild fish to avoid inbreeding and deformations / mutations.

Inbreeding can cause much more damage then merely the visible deformations ect. It can cause severe immune deficiencies as well as bred in susceptibilities to disease and overall short life spans. It is not to be undertaken lightly or without plenty of research.

Last edited:

peterclarke666

5 Year Member

ive always bred mine back to wild caughts or f1s to get the high dorsal extensions and then back to an unrealted orange flash a bit like i did with the quad reds

davidjp1982

Donating Member
From my limited experience I have had cacs that took several months of high quality NLS food and live daphnia to see a marked growth in the dorsal fin. I'm not sure if the reverse is possible but I'm sure that a dry food diet saw the extension drop somewhat or maybe just less flaring at least.

peterclarke666

5 Year Member
From my limited experience I have had cacs that took several months of high quality NLS food and live daphnia to see a marked growth in the dorsal fin. I'm not sure if the reverse is possible but I'm sure that a dry food diet saw the extension drop somewhat or maybe just less flaring at least.

doesnt seem to effect mine atal all of my apistos after leaving parents are feed mainly on tetra crisp dry foods to get them off live foods for when they are moved on as some go to shops others to community tanks etc and them places dont always have live foods available for fussy eaters

Dano1311

ive always bred mine back to wild caughts or f1s to get the high dorsal extensions and then back to an unrealted orange flash a bit like i did with the quad reds
hmmm, ive got a wild cross orange flash male with a large extended dorsal fin, i will grow on some orange flash and pick him a good female to breed from as im unsure if the female he bred with at the minute is pure orange flash as she could be cross with a triple red.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….