• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P. Taeniatus 'Moliwe'

Joe Gatchell

I've been keeping some variant of Taeniatus for 4 years between the Lokundje and Moliwe I have never been able to get them to spawn. End of May I made an outdoor guppy barrel and on a "what the heck" I threw my only remaining pair out in it. A month and a half later I go to pull the fish out for the week because we are supposed to get some 40 degree overnights and...

Finally. ;)

Joe Gatchell

Yeah I stuffed the barrel with elodea and foxtail and water hyacinth and duckweed, java moss and Anubias. No filtration or airlines, just power packed plants, put some sand and gravel in bottom. When the cold passes I'll stick them back out and try again. ;)

Pisces 56

Lucky dog! Congratulations! Was the water outside a bit cooler? Have you had any storms come through since they've been outside? Just trying to figure out if the 'cooler-water-drop-in-atomospheric-pressure' deal is going on.

Joe Gatchell

Lucky dog! Congratulations! Was the water outside a bit cooler? Have you had any storms come through since they've been outside? Just trying to figure out if the 'cooler-water-drop-in-atomospheric-pressure' deal is going on.

Yes and yes. Though during the day temperatures got into the 80's they had a ton of plant cover. Several storms throughout the time they were there. No filtration or water circulation at all in probably a 25 gallon bucket.

Pisces 56

Ooooooo! So fun wondering and trying to figure it out. I wonder if all that had anything to do with the spawning. Well, STUPID! OF COURSE IT DID! Stupid question. Wonder what had the major impact? Temp or air pressure?

Weren't you afraid some bird was come down and have one of your Pelvies for an after school snack? (Get it? ... after SCHOOL...)

Will you do this again with other species, just to see what happens? Heard Cories do the same thing.

Joe Gatchell

Ooooooo! So fun wondering and trying to figure it out. I wonder if all that had anything to do with the spawning. Well, STUPID! OF COURSE IT DID! Stupid question. Wonder what had the major impact? Temp or air pressure?

Weren't you afraid some bird was come down and have one of your Pelvies for an after school snack? (Get it? ... after SCHOOL...)

Will you do this again with other species, just to see what happens? Heard Cories do the same thing.

Nah not where it's located. They'd have to get through a mass of elodea and water hyacinth to even find them. A duck or heron maybe but we live in the city and my dog would chase anything off when he's out. More worried about raccoons at night. :)

Captain Jim

Congratulations on hitting it right..I've got to say, it isn't too surprising the natural way can work best. Can I ask you to sell me some of your fry? You would have to ship to Florida, but..I hope, I hope!

Captain Jim

Joe..I'm in Florida,..I would rather wait until it cools here a little anyway. I bought some T. Molowie a couple months ago, and they were very tiny,..soon came down with a parasitic condition. Have two left, not sure I can get them thru this or not. At any rate..fairly sure I will want some soon. Let me know if you are willing to try shipping,..I understand hesitancy..I have angels to sell and I'm scared to do it yet.

Captain Jim

Good for you! Wish I could buy some..I would.,,but going into hospital and will be unable to feed fish for six months.

Captain Jim

Thanks..hope you get going with your shipping "possibilities"..I will want some as soon as I'm good and mobile. Shipping in sensible weather with good bags and boxes, with good oxygen, paying as much as you can afford is the way to go. Anyway..I will be looking. Thanks..Jim

Captain Jim

Mr. Gatchell.. I have survived major cancer operations, and I'm ten days away from finishing radiation therapy..I still want Molowie young! Can we get these fish to florida?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….