• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Methods for catching fry?

Avid Outdoorsman

I have a pair of F0 A. Panduro in a 50 gallon tank. They have fry that are now just under 1/4" in length. The female just spent three days in one of her coconut caves and is now chasing the fry around. I'm assuming she has eggs. I have a lot of leaf litter and wood in the tank. I have seen people post saying they were going to use "traps" to catch their fry. Has anyone found a way to catch fry without completely stressing out the tank? The tank is a breeding tank with just the parents and a half dozen Nannostomus marginatus. I just don't want the female to get stressed out and eat the eggs and yet I would like to save the existing fry. It appears as though I left them in longer then I should have.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I use a water/soda bottle fish trap quite successfully. See: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/249712-water-bottle-fish-trap/ for instruction on how to build the trap. I use a half-pint/250 ml water bottles for small fish like juveniles. I fill the trap with tank water and then squirt a bit of live bbs into it. Just be certain to check the trap after about a half hour or so. You don't want too many fish stuck in it for too long. I often get the female stuck in with the juveniles. To prevent this, you might want to use the cap with a smaller hole drill in it, so only smaller fish can get in.

Last edited:

Avid Outdoorsman

Thank you very much Mike. That is the best trick I have been shown in ages. I set it twice last night for around twenty minutes each time. I was very successful. I can see more in the tank so I will set it again tonight. Both parents were getting very agitated so I stopped. These two are ferocious when it comes to protecting there young. The male has gone as far as attacking the glass as I walked by and both have attacked the siphon even when kept at the top of the tank away from the cave. Thanks again Mike. I wish I learned this years ago.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….