• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How many Borelli

MonteSS

20 long complete with filter, light, glass top I just got from Craigslist for $30 :)

Three small female Borelli blue that are yellowing up. I have two males coming tomorrow to add.

I guess I will see how they get along. Plenty of caves but I may need to add more plants.

What do you think?

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I would not keep more than one trio in either tank if you plan to breed them.
I once set up a trio in a 4.5 gal tank and both females were caring for fry while the males sort of supervised the whole affair.
I don't recommend using such a small tank. I just wanted to see what was possible.
A. borelli are pretty adaptable.

MonteSS

Do you think I could try the 2m 3f in the 20long? And keep an eye on them?

I can move them if neccesary.

Thanks

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I doubt you'll have any problems although for breeding in 20 Longs or smaller I probably would choose only one male.
Otherwise just provide cover and caves for all.
One male A. borelli can manage to service three femaies and contribute to fry care.
The males tend to visit each respective female's brood.
A.borelli has long been one of my favorite Apistogramma species followed closely by A. trifasciatus.
Both are excellent beginners' species.
I always like having an easy one going when I'm working with more difficult species.
Sometimes a little success helps keep me persist with the harder types.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….