• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

75 Gallon Apisto Tank

DanielG

This latest one and the one yesterday gets my attention. I really like how there's lots of wood everywhere.

It's growing on me too...Though I haven't quite reached that point where I am 100% satisfied...

I would say split the difference between the last two pics ... but my 'scaping skills are severely lacking so take it as you will. You could easily sell off the excess pieces on the local forum, or save them the the inevitable 20 long with more apistos.

What size pieces did you get? Their prices aren't actually that bad.

I got a mix from Extra Large to small pieces. If I resell (we'll see) the prices will be the same as on the ADA site, if not just a smidgen less to entice people....but I'm not quite to that point yet.

regani

5 Year Member
With that much DW you could also slope the sides higher than the middle have DW coming in from both sides with an open patch/path in the middle

DanielG

I've settled on a scape :)

4_zps5b055dee.jpg

1_zps8cb2e0bb.jpg

2_zps845325ab.jpg

DanielG

So when do we see water, plants and fish? :)

I still have to get the overflow and setup the filtration. Not to mention too having to setup an efficient method for doing water changes.

I want to buy a water pump that will quickly pump out water during water changes...Between that and the HOB overflow box, it may be two weeks before i can purchase those. The last phase will be getting the trash bins for new water & waste water.

All in all, for the remaining things i need excluding trash bins, fish and plants...i'm looking at another $600 to get this setup complete...

DanielG

As of now, my ph out of the tap is at 8.5 (yikes!)

Should I transfer over my pressurized co2 system to bring that down even though I will not have any plants in there that will really need it? I'm also considering an RO system, but am hesitant because I can't find a dependable method of raising KH without raising PH above the 7 that RO water is.

DanielG

Last batch of needed items are ordered. The final things are the trash bins and PVC attachments for the overflow.....I'll have to setup the sump too....that'll be a fun day!

DanielG

Items ordered have arrived...

CPR CS50 Overflow Box - 600 GPH
Current USA AquaChef Aquarium Fish Feeder
Danner Mag-Drive Supreme 5 500 GPH Water Pump - x2 (one for sump return, other for water changes)
Coralife Digital Power Center (Day-Night-Timer or Wave Maker)
Tom Aquatics Aqua-Lifter Dosing Pump (for overflow siphoning)
Lifegard Aquatics Little Time Or Temp

ViaAqua Titanium 300 Watt 80 Gallon Aquarium Heater

x2 32 gallon trash bins as well as x1 roller for the 'waste' water (so it can be rolled out & dumped or used in the garden).
The other bin will be for the new water that will be put on a platform that is on plane with the aquarium so it isn't as hard on the water pump.

DanielG

The CPR overflow I bought was actually underrated for my return pump. Have to sell it, and get a larger capacity one.

Slow and steady...Haven't yet decided to go RODI, but it will be a costly jump if I do.

DanielG

Hey everyone,

Sorry for the wait. The fam took a vacation and some bills came through for my daughters ER visit...awesome!

So I have started work on the sump. The first panel is in, but needs more caulking near the top. I thought I would give what caulking I did do a chance to harden up so I could remove the shims and the brace holding the entire panel up.

One panel was not cut correctly by my local glass shop, so either Monday or Tuesday I have to take it in and have it corrected.

I bought a one gallon box of the 1.5" spherical bio media from drsfosterandsmith, and also ordered a bio media tumbler. I've been advised that the bio tumbler won't benefit any plants I put in the tank as it will do an excellent job of removing nitrates and phosphates...something that doesn't scare me...

As for the RODI...im 80% certain I am NOT going to do it. I don't like the idea of paying for a 1:4-5 ratio of good to 'waste' water...and frankly I don't water my plants enough to justify using all that water....I'm becoming more hesitant of putting my apisto's in this tank considering my tap water parameters are 8.3ph, 4-5kh & 6-8 dgh....not the ideal conditions.

10463023_668531503200359_2910189081733897362_n_zps682db36e.jpg

DanielG

So the wood is all 100% soaked now, and the sump is coming together nicely.

I've heard that pterophyllum scalare and cacatuoides seem to tolerate higher ph....maybe they would be a good fit for this tank???

20140710_002709_zpsccd2516a.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It wouldn't be my favorite mix. Angels can be faster at eating, pretty aggressive at times, and they are much larger. Still, if that's what you want, give it a try.

DanielG

It wouldn't be my favorite mix. Angels can be faster at eating, pretty aggressive at times, and they are much larger. Still, if that's what you want, give it a try.

Do you have any recommendations for ratio's? I'm really only considering one pair of the cacatuoides...but the angels I'm unsure of...

MonteSS

I have two Angels in my 36" 46g with Apistos. They get along fine. I also have a dozen black Neons.

As Mike said, the angels and tetras eat aggressively and I have to overfeed so food still gets down to the Apistos. But some of the Apistos have learned to come up and compete.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….