• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

75 Gallon Apisto Tank

odin33

5 Year Member
Looking nice and I'm very jealous. LOVE the stand. Very nice and clean work. Might just be able to convince the Mrs. to put a tank outside the fishroom if I can make one that nice. I'm assuming there's a thread or something on how to build (my google project for my off day tomorrow). Is it just the doubled up 1 x on the sides and a center 1 x to support the weight vertically? I'm sure that's enough, just been building fish room, multi tank racks recently so it seems a little 'light'.

Regarding the hardscape, if it were my tank, I might change the arrangement of the branches so that they "end" (the cutoff section) into the back glass as opposed to seeing the cutoff ends pointed upwards. IMO it would add a more natural feel. That'll likely cost you some overall height, but could you possibly rotate the the piece that's under the center brace to a more vertical look to give you some height back? That or maybe a pillar like piece of pertified driftwood or some rock that you like to 'fill' that upper tank space. If you've got the time, check out a local landscaping company/plant nursery or two. A lot of times they'll have some interesting rocks for pennies on the dollar (compared to fish stores/online sites). Just make sure you give it a thorough cleaning.

Layouts are a lot of fun IMO and I love/appreciate those bold enough to throw theirs out there for opinions. I learn something every single time.

Most importantly thanks for sharing and enjoy!!

DanielG

IMG_37951_zps52a47892.jpg

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
5 Year Member
Manten Stone would look pretty cool in there. I like the wood as you have it (new layout). I agree it could use another touch of some kind. Some other element to add to it.

DanielG

So I've ordered x3 Medium sized 'Hornwood' pieces as well as x2 Small sized pieces to give a little more dimension...Manten Stone through the ADA site is $119...so with that i'll have to wait until next month before I purchase that.

Things also on the list:

CPR CS102 overflow with dual 1" drains (for added quietness) & a return pump.

x2 75 gallon garbage cans on rollers...One for W/C water and the other for drainage...My garage is 4 feet from where my tank is (right behind the wall).

Manten Stone - This is a maybe...I'm hesitant about putting any rock in the tank. My LFS sold me some 'inert' rock that they swore 100% on, but yet it still rose my kH by 3-4 points over the course of a week...hmmmm.

DanielG

The new batch of ADA Hornwood is due to be delivered tomorrow...will post pics when they arrive.

I think I'm going to stick with the current arrangement I have in there currently, the new pieces I'm going to attempt to integrate...

Will post pics ASAP.

I just have to mention that the folks over at the ADA shop in San Francisco CA are AWESOME. Both of my orders have been shipped out pretty much same day and delivered promptly...Thanks to UPS for not having any issues either.

dwarfpike

5 Year Member
I would say split the difference between the last two pics ... but my 'scaping skills are severely lacking so take it as you will. You could easily sell off the excess pieces on the local forum, or save them the the inevitable 20 long with more apistos.

What size pieces did you get? Their prices aren't actually that bad.

Cooder

In my opinion, i think its a little too much, i think the picture under the "Previous" heading looks good, and would look nice with plants clustered around it.
We also have to take into consideration territory boundaries etc. if you are keeping apistos :)

DanielG

In my opinion, i think its a little too much, i think the picture under the "Previous" heading looks good, and would look nice with plants clustered around it.
We also have to take into consideration territory boundaries etc. if you are keeping apistos :)

I have a pair of Apisto Agassizii's now, and would like to get another female. With that, I'm really trying to break the line of site up so that you can't see directly from one end of the tank to the other.

I see your vision with the central cluster of Branchwood with the plants around it...and agree that would look pretty darn cool.

I'm envisioning a triangular shape within the tank, with the highest point being in the center that tapers off to each edge.

The plants I'm hesitant on simply because I want to move away from having to manually dose the nutrients each week....On the other hand, having plants would mean that I could use my CO2 system which would fix the issue of my tap water having a high pH. (8+).

Maybe tonight when I get home I will try and resort back to the layout under 'Previous' and try to incorporate some of the smaller pieces to each side. I really like the bridging effect in the first layout.

If anyone else has opinions, please let me hear! The scaping portion of this project is really fun and I like hearing everyone's ideas!

Seanor

This latest one and the one yesterday gets my attention. I really like how there's lots of wood everywhere.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….