• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Apisto Owner, have a couple of questions, Pics included!

mightymizz

Hello all!

I recently got these 2 apistogramma C. and I need help with determining if I have 2 males or 1 male and female.

Also,
in a 29g planted tank, would it be fine to end up with 2 males and 1 female, or 1 male and 2 females?

Ok here are the pictures. Tried my best for photos. Thanks!!

Is this Male or Female- Fish is just a touch over 1 inch long. We will call this Fish #1
4MFOcs6.jpg

oJgY1ZQ.jpg

vMY5eis.jpg

KkQVj5r.jpg

Fish #2, Pretty sure this one is the male. This fish is just over 1.5 inches long.

OzxSCjk.jpg

IGZFvuT.jpg

mightymizz

So I have seen this behavior a lot too. The Larger of the 2 fish, the known male, will swim right by and up to the other fish and flare really big, while "fanning" the smaller fish with his tail. I am not sure if this is territorial behavior against other males, or more loving towards female behavior.

Here are a couple of pictures where he is flared up and Fanning the smaller fish (excuse the snail).
hKBBzZo.jpg

nlExb2g.jpg

mightymizz

Well, if they are both males, in a 29g, with lots of plants and such, will they leave each other alone?

What would happen if I introduced 1 female to make a trio of 2 males/1 female? Even more aggression?

Care to share any thoughts on what you're seeing to suspect the one is a male? It does have black edge to the ventral fins.

regani

5 Year Member
I'd say two males as well. Several indicators: the strong coloration of the fins (although that can be misleading in some line red strains), no leading black edge on the dorsal, what looks like the beginning of extensions on the dorsal, and a poiny rather than rounded back end of the dorsal (photos can be misleading here, though).
In a 29G with plants etc. the two males should be fine. The addition of a females will increase aggression but if properly decorated you should be able to keep an inverse trio in the tank, I think.

mightymizz

Here are some pictures of what we hope is a female. This is a new fish. Sorry for the terrible pictures, the camera is not good, especially where this fish is staying in the tank. Any thoughts on this one?? You should be able to make the photos larger, if it helps.

ibBdHtL.jpg

FhFAtcx.jpg

973jrLk.jpg

mightymizz

I sure hope so. However, the large male is really harassing her. Someone took a bite out of her tail as well.

regani

5 Year Member
That is not unusual amongst apistos. If the female is not willing to breed the male will usually try to chase her out of his territory, hoping a more willing female comes along - little does he know...
Once the female has laid eggs it is usually the male who has to be cautious not to get too close

mightymizz

Update- This first questionable fish I discussed has laid eggs and is now eating the fry. I am not sure why she is eating the fry, but at least I now know it was a female!

mightymizz

Thanks!

Also- I did start a thread in the breeding forum with more specifics, if anyone is interested in that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….