• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New mixed species

Gwendal

Hi all,

I write to explain my case.
Can you ID the species¿?

First i bought a pair, here is the male.

IMG_5889.JPG

And here is the female.
IMG_5952.JPG

I got the fry, but the male died and the fry too.
IMG_5943.JPG

Then I decided to mix the female in my big tank, where I have other Apistos.

And I saw that my male of A. combrae want something with this female, so i wait.... And I finally get the fry.
IMG_6251.JPG

The male.

IMG_7001.JPG

IMG_6290.JPG

Then, the babys grow up...

IMG_7004.JPG

IMG_7005.JPG
IMG_7013.JPG
IMG_7016.JPG
IMG_7055.JPG
IMG_7060.JPG
IMG_7063.JPG
IMG_7081.JPG
IMG_7086.JPG
IMG_7091.JPG
IMG_7110.JPG
IMG_7121.JPG
IMG_7134.JPG
IMG_7143.JPG

I have more photos...

Please help me in the ID, could be a mixed species?¿

Thanks for the info.

Gwendal

Here are some more pics.

IMG_7152.JPG
IMG_7166.JPG
IMG_7235.JPG
IMG_7264.JPG
IMG_7285.JPG
IMG_7305.JPG

After all, the first female got another fry with one of her male babys.

IMG_7321.JPG

But finally I lost all my Apistos because of a problem with the filter in vacations.

IMG_7365.JPG

As you see in the photos i notice that there are some diferents between each other.
I´m right and i got a mix of species?¿

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The female (and 1st male) appear to be a species of the resticulosa-complex. If you crossed the female with a male A. commbrae, then you have a hybrid of 2 species of 2 closely related apisto species.

Gwendal

Mike the first pair could be a A. cf. eunotus¿?

So as you say, may I have a new specie?¿

Cooder

Not a new species, simply a hybrid of 2 closely related apistogramma species. Selling/distributing hybrid fry as a different (new) species is generally frowned upon, and doesnt contribute much to the hobby.

As display fish though, they are beautiful. Nice photos too ;)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Mike the first pair could be a A. cf. eunotus¿?

I do not believe this. The dark markings are wrong for a eunotus-complex species. The dark markings are more like those seen on resticulosa-complex species. I doubt that one could cross a eunotus fish with a commbrae fish without seeing 'hybrid deformities'. Commbrae- and resticulosa-complex species are very closely related, thus this would be a more likely cross.

So as you say, may I have a new specie?¿

A hybrid is not a species. It is a cross between two different species, nothing more. In cichlid aquariums, we see this more often in Malawi cichlids. It is so bad that fish have been disqualified for show consideration at ACA shows where I was a judge. I know many serious Malawi fish breeders who will now only buy wild fish, or fish from known experienced breeders, because they cannot be certain that domestic fish are pure. The same is true for many rainbowfish and killifish breeders.

Gwendal

Ok, thanks for the info, now I understand better.

I´m not going to sell anything, is only nice info, and I feel happy about the fact.

The thing that is missing is to ID the first pair, that could be great.
Any idea?¿

Thanks for all.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Without seeing all of the fishes' black markings, including vertical bars, it is impossible to really separate many of the species/forms of the resticulosa-complex, sorry.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Nope. Still not enough information on the photos for a good ID. Sorry. Now if you are really interested in knowing the species just send me several specimens preserved in alcohol, preferably after being chilled while alive to increase the darkness of the markings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….