• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

is my apitso agassizii really breeding pair??

jhj0112

Hi All,

I have been told that our agassizii is a breeding pair. I don't know what kind of agassizii this is...

As I study more about apistogrammas, I start doubting if we really have a breeding pair because no matter how closely I look at them, they look almost identical. I googled all images of apisto pair pictures and male/female difference are very noticeable. I wonder if We have 2 females and one female thinks the other one is male.

here are the picture of them.

suspecting male

female

female is showing typical breeding behavior toward another one( swimming sideway) and defending her area.

is it possible that male and female look similar? they both are in breeding color for sure ( pale white to bright yellow).
can female mistakenly attempt to breed with another female??

another question! can apistogramma interbreed?? I just got sp. steel blues and one of my macmasteris male start showing courtship toward one of sp steel blue..( they are in another tank).

any comment for apisto newbie( me
smile.png
) is really appreciated.

jhj0112

I don't know what happened but here they are again
the first two are suspected male. the other two are female.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    839.3 KB · Views: 433
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    795.3 KB · Views: 392
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    797.1 KB · Views: 389
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    812.8 KB · Views: 377

jhj0112

one more question... can I add these 2 female agassizii to the pair if they can breed? it looks like what I have is 2 female agassizii tefe not double reds... can they inter breed? currently double red pair is in 20G long tank while 2 females are in my 90 G SA community tank.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Double reds are a domestic mix of various populations of the A. agassizii superspecies. As such, they'll breed with any other A. agassizii. If, however, they are A. sp. Tefé - and I don't know how to tell the females from A. agassizii - they are a different, closely related species. Will they cross? Yes, but the eggs usually don't hatch. If the eggs hatch, the fry are weak and don't usually survive long. If the fry survive, the resulting adults show deformed fins and rows of scale and are infertile.

jhj0112

Thank you mike wise for taking your time to answer my question. I guess I will have to sell 2 tefe females( I'm guessing they are tefe... the ones in the pictures).. double reds pair are beautiful :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….