• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pelvicachromis sp. aff. subocellatus

Ekona

5 Year Member
These wild caught gems have settled in, so thought I would post a few photos of them in their aquarium. They are eating live, frozen and prepared dry foods with equal zeal. Turning out to be one of my favorite fish right now.

This is the alpha male - a uniquely colored specimen.
2d5ae883-57c3-4f8b-b86a-d47d23f1134a_zps9d3fe917.jpg

Another male - golden colors in body and fins.
2f97b1b0-7ec2-405a-b2d3-eb55711fbc3b_zps3c609a48.jpg

Female - pretty golden and pink colors.
e1b249c4-2b76-444d-9309-807a20283424_zpsed0bfd60.jpg

Pair - notice the female showing some of the classic dark pigments typical of this Nigerian form of sp. aff. subocellatus, not as dark as the Matadi and Moanda forms from Zaire.
b25b8eec-5ed5-489d-a633-4ab5a1c491ee_zps5f3e84a1.jpg

Ekona

5 Year Member
Yep, today :)

Female displaying to sub-dominant male.
displayingsubopair.jpg

Full female yesterday

Post-spawning female guarding eggs. Alpha male in first post is the father.
subofempostspawn.jpg

viejo

5 Year Member
These have always been one of my favorites ( even when they were commonly available). Where are you located Ekona?

Microlepomis

I missed this thread earlier. I'm wondering what parameters you bred them in. I've heard they're easier to breed than true subocellatus, but I get conflicting reports about how pH affects they're breeding. I've got a pH that settles around 7.3-7.5, but with with very low hardness and I'm wondering if I could get these to spawn successfully.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Larry and others,

You may have seen the seller on aquabid who is selling them. Steve T and I split an order. They arrived in mint condition. I think there actually is an auction up and running right now.

Janos

Simon Morgan

5 Year Member
They are lovely fish. I'm surprized that no one has mentioned it yet but they have now been formally described. Pelvicachromis silviae is the new name. Described by Anton Lamboj and named after his wife.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….