• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

female agassizii eye problem ?

ade-1973

The last few days I have noticed my female agassizii has one eye a little bigger than the other she is feeding and even showing signs of breeding with the male any need to worry ? They are in a 10 gallon tank on there own with bogwood ,alder cones and coconuts planted with java fern .

regani

5 Year Member
The condition is called popeye, it can be caused by injury, bacterial or parasite ininfection, or environmental factors. Most likely cause in a fish tank are environmental factors (i.e. something wrong with the water) followed by bacterial infection because of a weakened immun system due to stress.
To treat I would start doing daily water changes for a few days to improve water quality. It's also worthwhile double-checking your water to see if it is within a good range for your species (pH slightly acidic, lowish conductivity, low GH and KH, low nitrates, and definitely no ammonia or nitrites). If the conditions persists or gets worse it may be necessary to isolate the fish and possibly treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic. But I would leave this as a last resort only and it is not always successful, e.g. because the infection has progressed too far or the cause is not bacterial.

thenameless

i had the same problem with my a.agassizi male, it started with one eye and then it went to the other, but i got better after few day, i did some water changes and it went away.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….