• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Stocking Help

Christopher Pereira

Hey guys, I have kept 3 Apistos before, 1 male 2 female. Apistogramma Cacatouides Orange. They have been one of my favourite fish to watch swimming round and enjoying my planted set-up.

However I haven't been able to get them to breed and have kind of lost interest getting them to try and breed. I heard that I was able to keep 3 Males together and have 3 Centerpieces.

I don't have a clue what I would be able to keep together so that they won't just kill each other. Can someone give me some species that will be compatible.

I wanted something like this, in order of preference:

Cacatuoides
Honglsoi
Macmasteri
Baenschi
Agassizii
Bitaeniata
Panduro
Borelli
Eremnopyge
Norberti

Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I always recommend males from different species-groups that don't have the same body shape or finnage. Of course temperament is important, too. A. cacatuoides, A. hongsloi/macmasteri, and A. agassizii would be good choices. It's also important that the tank has well established visual territorial boundaries set up.

Christopher Pereira

Thanks so much Mike, I have heard a lot about you, and I am glad you have replied on my thread. I know you are very knowledgeable when it comes too Apistos. But I heard that Agassizii and Cac's may be a problem, is this true?

madmike

I am fairly new to this all - I've kept the Apistos for three months in total. I've got a pair of Macmasteri (one male and one female), one Gephypra male, one male Hongsloi, one female Cacatuoides, 3 unknown C. palleatus and 8 unknown P. axelrodi in a 112l. They go well together, except for some harassing on the hongsloi (some damage on the anal fin) and some damage the G. ramirezi) who eventually died due to ( most likely fungus on it's upper lip) they are all healthy. We had 15 P. axelrodi, but they got eaten by a hungry African cichlid who did not belong - but he was returned to the shop within two days.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. cacatuoides & A. agassizii are found together in some places in the wild. In a tank that is properly decorated the 2 species are sufficiently different in form that intraspecific confusion/aggression shouldn't be a problem. When there is, it's usually an indication that you either have a tank with too few territories or an overly aggressive specimen. When first introducing the fish (preferably all at the same time) add a piece of floating pipe (black PBS works) to the top of the tank. It will be used as a refuge for any of the 'losers'.

Christopher Pereira

Okay so I need some further help, I am getting a bigger tank now, so out of the ones I have which ones can I keep. I am going to get 5.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Same rule applies whether 1 or 100+: different body shapes and finnage. The problem you'll find is that, as you add more specimens, it is harder to find different forms. I'd definitely try to avoid keeping species from the same species-group together. This more often leads to conflicts. Otherwise just try what you want and be ready to remove/change species until you get a compatible group of fish. This is not something with 'hard and fast' rules.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't see 4 or 5 species on your list that I'd feel comfortable suggesting that you put together. They're either too similar in appearance or too different in their aggressiveness.

Christopher Pereira

Steindachneri
Trifasciata
Cacatuoides
Honglsoi
Agassizii

I was thinking I could get away with that. But if not I will just keep 3 and think of something different to pack out the bottom

FishyDave

Hello! I am new here. I have also heard tell of Mike Wise's expertise!

I have a very happy pair of A. Panduros in a 30G tank (36" long). Also schools of neon and rummynose tetra.

I'd like to add a pair of A. Macmasteri.

The tank is moderately/heavily planted with a large piece of driftwood across the middle. The sight lines are good, in
the sense that there are many thinks blocking fish view (especially closer to the substrate). Pic is below.

Would those two species (Panduro and Macmasteri) qualify as different enough in body/fin type, or are the male Panduro and male Macmasteri likely to battle?
IMG_2172.JPG

Thanks!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Nice tank. Realize that if the panduro pair bond and want to raise a brood, both will attack any fish near their territory at the same time. Two against one is never good. Try it if you want. Personally, I wouldn't.

FishyDave

Thanks! The panduro pair appear to be bonded. they often swim together, and are quite peaceful to each other.

They have not spawned, so far as i can tell, and have been in the tank for about a year. Also i wasn't planning on breeding apistos. although i guess that's up to the fish!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….